Crossing the bar:

30boat

N/A
Visit site
That's a typical case of a strong tide going out in a narrow bar.Had they waited for slack water things would have been much calmer.Maybe they were in a hurry to unload their catch.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
A bit like entering Dover in a bit of a blow over a spring tide:encouragement:
BTW."Crossing the bar" also has a rather sombre other meaning in some circles which made me think the thread may have been about something else.

prv

Visit site
In fact it's a fast flowing river mouth.

So does that mean the waves are like that indefinitely, or at least for as long as the weather stays the same? The voices on the video did imply that, talking about having to either get in here or steam a long distance to somewhere else. No waiting three hours for slack water, it's more understandable that they'd decide to advance the throttle and bully their way in.

Pete

Sybarite

Visit site
So does that mean the waves are like that indefinitely, or at least for as long as the weather stays the same? The voices on the video did imply that, talking about having to either get in here or steam a long distance to somewhere else. No waiting three hours for slack water, it's more understandable that they'd decide to advance the throttle and bully their way in.

Pete

The entrance is probably a rough one at the best of times and so best tried when there isn't too much wind. Strong wind against fast current and relatively shallow water are a toxic mixture.

ffiill

Visit site
The mouth of the Hokianga can be far worse not bad at slack water when the marlin boats go out but if the Tasman sea is rough!
The Noosa River bar in Queensland is another one which is ok if you have local knowledge but is quite capable of up ending small day boats.

John the kiwi

Visit site
The movie was shot from the end of the south side mole on the Grey river and i have been there many times- on the mole that is not on the water.
It is just as bad as it looks and i dont think i would have the whatsits to take my boat in there.
On the other hand this is the best option on this coast for miles in either direction..
It doesn't always end well: a fishing boat capsized in similar circs a couple of years ago and lives were lost.
Lives were save as well - by the surfers who regularly surf the breaks on the ends of the moles.