Croatia chart on Navionics - shallow or not. What does your plotter show?

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
On my last trip we were sailing on the southern side of O Solta (which is near Split). I had Navionics running on my Raymarine MFD and Navionics running on a Tablet.

On the plotter that had charts installed about 4 weeks ago there was a shallow area but there one not shown on the tablet. On looking at my Imray paper chart I saw that the area is marked as restricted. I then updated the maps on the tablet and the shallow area disappeared and there is still no resitricted area shown A had a friend look on his phone and his tablet. Both with up to date charts from Navionics but one showed a shallow area and the other did not! On the Navionics Web viewer there is no shallow area. It is at 43°22.852N 16°12.597E I have looked at the sonar version of the chart and it does not show a shallow spot
I have contacted Navionics who say that the updated chart is correct ie no shallow
I worry that the area is in fact shallow.
Does anyone have the Croatian chart for this corner of Solta? FWIW I have sent an email to the Croatian Hydrographic office but with no reply

Thanks

Attachments

• Otok Solta.jpg
    Otok Solta.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 11
  • Solta on MFD before update.jpg
    Solta on MFD before update.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Solta on tablet.jpg
    Solta on tablet.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2024-06-25 10.55.46.jpg
    2024-06-25 10.55.46.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 10

Mark-1

Visit site
Does "community edits" in Navionics explain what's going on?

Does it look shallow on Google Earth?

If you work it out it's worth adding a community edit yourself to explain to other people.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Nothing untoward shows in Google Earth. Not sure how significant that is as the reef off Skorpios in the Ionian that is on charts (but does not have an isolated danger mark physically}, does not show on Google Earth.

There are not Community edits for the area.
TS

Mark-1

Visit site
Nothing untoward shows in Google Earth. Not sure how significant that is as the reef off Skorpios in the Ionian that is on charts (but does not have an isolated danger mark physically}, does not show on Google Earth.

There are not Community edits for the area.
TS

Apart from that I was tremendously helpful! :D🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Thanks. That shows the same restricted area as the Imray paper chart and the Imray app. I wonder why it is restricted if not shallow.

Tudorsailor
Google search reports Marinca Rat as a diving spot, "restricted area for several years because there was a barrack", probably a former military post, not sure why still restricted today.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
You are right. Interestingly the dive description says that it drops to 50m so not shallow!
Description: Punta Solta, Marinca, for many years a restricted area for all because there was a barracks. The position offers several options for both shallow and deeper dives that are equally beautiful. There is a cliff with a beautiful overhang at a depth of ten meters and straight below it collapses up to almost 50 m.

dunedin

Visit site
Tudor sailor - are you certain that the Navionics chart did not have the crowd sourced sonar layer activated? This sort of thing has happened before in some areas with this extra layer activated (that does not use formal IHO data).