Croatia 2015 - Ti-Coyo, Fugly and Some Drowning Birds

RichardS

N/A
Three pictures from our Croatia cruise this year which might relieve the boredom for those who are stuck at home or in the office.

Firstly a really odd looking boat out of the water for repairs in Trogir. Something doesn't look right to me but I can't put my finger on it.

Secondly, a beautiful boat which we picked up on the AIS the other side of a large island before we could even see her. The AIS screengrab is from when she was very close to us just to help me remember her name, Ti-Coyo. She was sailing at 10kts to our 5kts although she was on a broader reach! :eek:

The final picture is of a long line of these seabirds which we often see singly although I've never seen hundreds of them in a long queue in deep water for no apparent reason. They can only ever keep their head and neck above the water as their body always sinks out of sight so they look like little Loch Ness Monsters. I'm sure someone can tell me what they are.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ngbi99cctyjgarg/AADpnGFqo2_wgyA0PAMEb491a?dl=0

Richard

BrianH

Three pictures from our Croatia cruise this year which might relieve the boredom for those who are stuck at home or in the office.

Firstly a really odd looking boat out of the water for repairs in Trogir. Something doesn't look right to me but I can't put my finger on it.
Wheelhouse unusually far forward?

Secondly, a beautiful boat which we picked up on the AIS the other side of a large island before we could even see her. The AIS screengrab is from when she was very close to us just to help me remember her name, Ti-Coyo. She was sailing at 10kts to our 5kts although she was on a broader reach! :eek:
Maltese flag, currently in Sibenik. Beautiful boat, glad I don't have to pay her mooring costs.

The final picture is of a long line of these seabirds which we often see singly although I've never seen hundreds of them in a long queue in deep water for no apparent reason. They can only ever keep their head and neck above the water as their body always sinks out of sight so they look like little Loch Ness Monsters. I'm sure someone can tell me what they are.
I'm guessing they are cormorants, I've seen groups but never so many. They have increased their numbers enormously in the Adriatic over the past few years and have invaded my marina. One dived next to my moored boat and came up with a large flatfish that he had great difficulty to swallow. When he did manage his neck swelled out to the fish outline looking very bizarre. They consume great numbers of fish so it would seem the fish stocks must have risen to support so many.

Brian.

RichardS

N/A
Thanks Brian ... they do look like cormorants from the photos I've just looked at online. The strange thing is that the most noticeable thing to us is that they can only keep their neck and heads above water unlike any other water birds we've seen but the RSPB or Wiki websites don't mention that characteristic.

Richard

BrianH

Thanks Brian ... they do look like cormorants from the photos I've just looked at online. The strange thing is that the most noticeable thing to us is that they can only keep their neck and heads above water unlike any other water birds we've seen but the RSPB or Wiki websites don't mention that characteristic.
Richard
I've noticed too, Richard, that they are very low in the water. I had always believed that, unlike other water fowl, their outer plumage is not waterproof which is why they are not buoyant but assists them to dive deeply in search of fish. It is also why they are so often seen perched with outspread wings in order for the feathers to dry.

Edit:
Here is a photo of a cormorant showing just how low they can float - perhaps indicative of having had a good fish meal.

cormorant.jpg

B.

Last edited:

mjcoon

Richard

Yes, I thought "cormorant" as soon as I read that part of your description. Not having too much buoyancy must help with "flying" under water. But I have never seen so many in a flock, especially in a line like that.

Here's a photo, taken yesterday, of one "drying" its wings. But when it got fed with my edging nearer and nearer and swam off, it was not as low in the water as they sometimes appear.

Mike.cormorant.jpg