Crinan advice

Clyder

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm starting to plan my summer cruise and would like to ask for some advice. I'm thinking of the following itinerary;

Largs to Ardrishaig-Crinan Canal-Croabh Haven-then maybe a turn down through the Sound of Islay-return via Crinan to Largs.

My questions are....Has anybody any advice / experiences I could use? Are there any potential problems with such a route? It looks as though there are plenty of opportunities to take on fuel and seek shelter if required due to weather. I'm looking to go July / August time (in fair weather) and hope to have about a week and a half to play with.

Your thoughts and comments please.

Cheers

Clyde

hlb

RIP
Visit site
We did a simmilar trip, quite a few years ago, but from Wales. IOM/ Clyde/ Crinan/Croab haven/ Tobermory. (Mull)

It's well worth a trip up the Crinnan Canal. Though very hard work, less you can do it with another boat or two. Otherwise at the time, you could hire a bloke on a bike, to open the locks in front of you.

Takes a full day to do the Nine?? miles. But very interesting.

zingaro

Visit site
We went through the crinan early july last year and we hired three pilots who did all the donkey work for us,well worth the money we gave them £60.00 per boat and their was 6 boats.make sure you have plenty of fenders on both sides of your boat as they tend to put 2/3 boats in the lock at the same time.make sure you brief your crew on how to let the warps slip through the cleats as one of our party tied there warps off and naily ended up suspended in mid air, if it wasnt for a sharp knife.We stopped half way through for the night rather than rushing and had a nice meal at a local hotel made a more relaxing journey. there is quite a number of pontoons some with a electric and some without so you are allowed to moor up on these for FOC for the night. I have all the information on my boat that is in largs i am up there on the sunday evening 13th may for a few days if you want any more info.the canal does get narrower towards western end so you need to careful if there is a vessel coming from the opposite direction. as you have to go close to the banks in order to pass each other.we really enjoyed our trip through the canal well worth doing.Ill post some photos of us going through the canal. We are going through again at the begining of july with a small convoy again. the berths on the around oban where hard to come buy mid july as there was a yacht race on at the time and we would not have been able to get a berth that week,its a annual event so i would try and pre book you berth before setting off.
boatpicturesireland085.jpg

boatpicturesireland076.jpg

boatpicturesireland075.jpg

this is the pontoon were we stayed overnight there is also a toilet block about a 100yds away which you get given a key for
boatpicturesireland080.jpg

<span style="color:brown"> </span> This is the overflow from them filling the canal at night
boatpicturesireland083.jpg

boatpicturesireland070.jpg
/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
this is the narrow stretch that i was talking about
boatpicturesireland069.jpg

This is a picture of the boats on moorings of the isle of ghia
boatpicturesireland046.jpg

emcm0025

Visit site
Hi all,

Just reading this post and looking at thoses pictures, makes it a trip I would take up to try with the new boat so thanks Clyde and novio for the trip idea.

Ewan

Clyder

Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. It all looks good. I'd better crack on with the planning and buy some more goodies for Jelly Bean!!

Ewan, what kinda new boat you bought??

Cheers

Clyde

davierobb

www.guesthouseprestwickayr.co.uk
Avoid the Crinan Hotel. They appear to hate all customers, especially ones with children (17 year old son drinking Irn Bru). An example of the absolute worst in Scottish hospitality. Their prices are as stunning as the local scenery at twenty odd quid for bangers and mash.

BW staff are great and pilots are very helpful and earn their fee.

emcm0025

Visit site
Hi clyde,

Got 2655 bayliner just got all the paperwork signed up so have been keeping it quiet, see the pm for more info

Ewan

Clyder

Visit site
Thanks for the advice Davie. I'm going up first week in July to a lodge at Portsonachan and hopefully I'll get down to Crinnan on my bike and sound things out prior to my adventure. I've been warned a bout the Crinnan Hotel before, sounds as though nothing has changed much. How / whre did you get the pilots?? Sounds like I might need a pilot dont think SWMBO and six year old would be up to the task /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers

Clyde

Clyder

Visit site
Ewan I an maybe see a plan formulating?? What do you think of the idea of a wee Largs Flotilla up and down the canal?? There's a few of us based at Largs / Troon on here and if I'm right at thinking we all have about the same boating experience.........?

emcm0025

Visit site
Sounds like a good plan a group of us from largs, think most of us have all either got or had the same boats at some point so we all know the limts of them. Plus beats just scooting around Milport and across to Arran.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
I wouldn't worry too much about hiring a pilot. TBH, I never knew the facility existed - sometimes the BW staff will help out with the locks (usually when it's busy I think), sometimes not. Mme Sgeir and myself are not in the first flush of youth, but we've never had a problem. Usually, you can time it to go through with others and you can act as a team.

We prefer to rig up the bow line so that I can feed it back to the cockpit and round a winch - one person can then easily control both the bow and stern lines. We're a yacht, so may not be suitable for all MOBO shapes. Enjoy it.