Credit Card Saga - Part 2

G

Gathering the info from my previous message, I have been advised by Barclays that if I had one of their new Debit cards (complete with chip - micropuce), it should work in France on unattended fuel pumps.

It's that little word 'should' that makes me suspicious.

Anyone know anything more?

Piers

G

Thanks for this, Matt - I look forward to hearing if it works. By the way, is this card drawing on a French account?

Piers

G

Re: clever cards

no, not a french account. I do actually to open need a fr account, and I know somebody who has one so will get sp from them.

G

I thought about opening a foreign account for boating costs but what put me off was the very high service costs even when you were not using it much. This was a Spanish enquiry but its a point to watch.

G

You put the card in a type in a number, yes? Think I've just got one of these, so I'll try it on the autoroutes, but only with a spare in case it doesn't work.

G

Hi Piers, I have an HSBC card complete with "chip", and no last year in France it did not work in one of those self serve pumps. But it did get further than the "non chip" card that I had!

G

Mike - in asking Barclays about this problem, they have given me a Connect Debit card complete with chip. However, they are unable to confirm it will work!!!

Perhaps someone will have the answer before journeys across the Channel begin this year, which, looking at the weather this week-end will be sooner rather than later.

All the best.

Piers