Cowes week.

capnsensible

Visit site
For anyone there, HMS Queen Elitabeth will be conducting a 'sail past' of the Royal Yacht Squadron tomorrow evening before returning to Pompey.

Won't be docking at Cowes Marina......

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I went down from Suffolk for 10 days for the British Classic Yacht Club week. Much more civilized. Reception at the Squadron, moored in the Haven, ate in most of the restaurants and pubs without having to queue.
Some of the finest Yachts I've seen.
Wouldn't like to imagine the state of the shower block over Cowes Week. There is a manned Police Station in the Main Street now.

Last edited:

jlavery

Visit site
I went down from Suffolk for 10 days for the British Classic Yacht Club week. Much more civilized. Reception at the Squadron, moored in the Haven, ate in most of the restaurants and pubs without having to queue.
Some of the finest Yachts I've seen.
Wouldn't like to imagine the state of the shower block over Cowes Week. There is a manned Police Station in the Main Street now.
Done Cowes Classics a couple of times. Great fun, and large number of entries.

capnsensible

Visit site
The patrol vessel anchored off in a dazzle paint scheme is HMS Tyne. Guardship for the week, an old tradition that lapsed then reinstated a rew years back.

Reminds me how long ago I was doing Cowes Week with the Royal Yacht Brittania anchored off.....

flaming

Visit site
It is eerily quiet. On the water, but most particularly off. We are still the biggest class with just 36 boats.
We gave it a miss this year because of spiraling accommodation costs. A place that was £4k in 2021 wanted £8k last year.

By the looks of the IRC entry list it looks like we were far from the only ones.

flaming

Visit site
It's a tricky one. To get the most out of Cowes week you want to be staying in town. We did think about just doing the week from Hamble, but decided that without the attractions of shoreside, we weren't all that enthused about 1 race per day.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It's a tricky one. To get the most out of Cowes week you want to be staying in town. We did think about just doing the week from Hamble, but decided that without the attractions of shoreside, we weren't all that enthused about 1 race per day.
Obviously it doesn’t cross our minds to stay in Cowes for the week, we just drive in. A mini bus could fix that, the rental would be a drop in the ocean.