Cowes Week - White group new boy seeks enlightenment.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Last Cowes for me was late 80s and it's all got very clever. But.

We're in White Group, and fully aware of where the different White Group starts might be (Bramble, RYS, Shrape and maybe a Cttee Boat line somewhere else), and that each has a VHF channel linked with it (2,3,4 and 5 respectively) for start timings and courses.

The SIs also tell us to listen to Ch 05 at 09:00 (and every 15 minutes thereafter) for info on which start will be used.

Have I got that right? It's just that, so far, I've found that a handheld vhf is a bit rubbish for trying to hear race info.

I've also seen mention of a text message coming to my registered 'phone. Does that work well? (I never seem to get really important texts until the following week).

There will also be notices posted at the Regatta Centre and the ISC pontoon at 09:00, but I might possibly like to be away by then.

In reality, we'll probably just find the J/70s who are first up, but it would be nice if someone could tell me that there's a better way.

Lastly. I notice that the row 'R' moorings are to be treated as an obstruction, but no mention of going inside the breakwater? There used to be a really handy eddy in there...

Keen_Ed

Visit site
That's right re start lines. Texts work well for announcements and courses.

Not allowed south of he breakwater. SI WB 1COWES OUTER BREAKWATER
In whichever direction they are racing, boats shall not pass to the south of the Cowes outer harbour breakwater. See diagram on the back cover of these Sailing Instructions.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Not allowed south of he breakwater. SI WB 1COWES OUTER BREAKWATER
In whichever direction they are racing, boats shall not pass to the south of the Cowes outer harbour breakwater. See diagram on the back cover of these Sailing Instructions.

Yep, that's pretty clear now that you've pointed me at it! Specsavers just don't seem to cut it these days.

olly_love

Visit site
Put cowes radio on in the morning also you will receive a text telling you
its also displayed on the squadron, with a board or flag
you will know if your committee from the SIs