Cowes Fireworks

amf

www.crmtechnologies.com
In my first season of motor boating - bought the boat (small 6m open console sports boat) - got trained (ICC/VHF) - got it a home (dry berth at Port Solent). Have spent the summer(?) on the Solent and down in Fowey.

Still consider myself very much a novice but confidence is growing. Would like to take family to various events in August before season ends. Looking at Cowes Week fireworks and the Portsmouth tall ships.

Anyone got any hints and tips for these? I'm assuming Cowes marinas will be full for Cowes week so looking at dropping anchor off Eqypt point. Any restrictions during Cowes week? am I likely to be surrounded by 1000's of other boats? Will I need 3 hours to get out of the PS lock?

Thanks

Andrew

burgundyben

Visit site
It will be bedlam and the water will be choppy due to the number of boats, esp ribs which will all be going too fast and will not have lights on and drivers will be half pissed, ok, I exagerate a bit but it will be hectic, I think coming from port solent your best bet would be to drop hook in vacinity of norris bouy but inshore, need to check chart, at least that area would give you clearer getaway from rest of fleet back to pompey, think the tide will be running fast towards russia, need to check that too.

I'll be dropped hook in Osborne bay having picnic then will motor round to cowes about 9.15 to catch fireworks at 9.30, will not tie up to anything tho, just float about

hope this helps, my boat blue huntress 'Cascade', come and say hello in Osborne bay if ya like. if ya wanna know more PM me.

I am gonna spend it on wine, women and song, and blow the rest.........

burgundyben

Visit site
Just checked, tide will be going towards Russia, fast, you could pass a bow line to another bigger boat and trail behind them in the tide..

I am gonna spend it on wine, women and song, and blow the rest.........

DavidP

Visit site
Hi
like you i will probably just folat around watching the fireworks,what day is it on ,this will be a first for me i usually watch it from calshot,on shore that is,
Ill be the one in the white 26" searay
Dave.

amf

www.crmtechnologies.com
Thanks - had thought as much. Will try your suggestion or try and get a mooring and watch from dry land. Not much fun floating about in choppy water in a 6m boat without a bar!

Any idea if Cowes Yacht Haven or East Cowes do any short stays during Cowes week?

adarcy

Visit site
Re: Braver man than me Gunga-Din

Perhaps a little "brave" to advise a new user in a 6m open boat to faff about off Cowes in the dark/light/dark w zillions of others doing the same?

Basically, I agree with you, most of the boats esp ribs seem to be driven by blind drunks (in both senses of the words). We found it v much worse than the usual mayhem of round-the-world starts where at least there is light about.

We have given up on floating about and anchor off Calshot beach west end shallows v gradually and can get some shelter if its south-westerly close in. We have also vowed never to come back to the Hamble afterwards. Last year, even more than an hour after the fireworks had finished, it was positively lethal - big and small powerboats, ribs +++ wash wake wobble masses of sailboats under power and some poor b****rs trying to sail. I am absolutely amazed we didn't see some catastrophe. We have a Princess45 and we are certainly not going to try it again. All in a 6m open boat hmmm

Methinks it might be a good idea to advise a newbie to keep away from floating about, find somewhere nice to anchor even if he needs binoculars and only attempt to go home when ALL the idiots have gone. Second thoughts, maybe the ones who come home later are even more pissed.......

Certainly don't advise him to miss out on it but beware

Anthony

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Wouldn\'t bother if I were you.....

because:
a) It always pisses down that weekend
b) At least one boat sinks that night (usually on Southampton water)

PS lock will probably be ok. Check it's not low water springs at 10pm when everyone gets back.

G

Hi Andrew,

I don't want to be a kill joy, but I would not begin to contemplate taking your family over to the Cowes fireworks. The situation is exactly as burgundyben describes and personally I don't think he is exagerating!
I only went along once, crewing on a private charter, for a very experienced and respected Yachtmaster Instructor/examiner. How anyone can think that it was (or is) a pleasurable night out, defeats me. Even on a biggish Grand Banks there was an uncomfortable 'chop' and as you anticipate, literally 1000's of boats everywhere.

I think it's great you have taken the trouble get some training for your boat, part of being a good skipper is knowing when not to go somewhere. I respectfully suggest that Cowes is not the place to be on that evening, and getting back in the dark will be a nightmare.

Take care, Peter.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
It's utter madness, We had a prang last year, what with the strong tides and no where to bail out, Police boats pushing boats away from the fireworks, boats anchored in the channel, there was no where we could go, (we either ram the police boat or get draged sideways by the tide) so we got caught by the tide and ended up being swept onto another boat...Won't be going again this year

If you're the skipper you won't see much of the fireworks if you bob around (you'll be concentrating on all the other boats....won't you?: )

If you anchor and someone gets caught out on the tide, there's nothing you can do! Shedding chain by the meter will put you onto someone else...

Everyone forgets the rules of the road, everyone is watching the fireworks, no one is looking where they are going, OK I exaggerate, but there are alot of boats in a small place and a big distraction there'll always be some action...

It's a great atmosphere tho :-D

amf

www.crmtechnologies.com
OK, thanks to everyone for their opinions- very useful. On balance I think I will give the fireworks a miss this year unless I can find a mooring and get the family to watch from dry land.

- Andrew