?. COVID19: SUPPLY/REFUGE PORTS FOR YACHTS IN TRANSIT❓

nortada

Visit site
Portugal | Noonsite

The link above refers to :- COVID19: SUPPLY/REFUGE PORTS FOR YACHTS IN TRANSIT and lists Nazare, Cascias, Lisbon and Lagos?

At present vessels not logged into Portugal cannot sail in Portuguese Waters but it is believed that this ruling may be relaxed soon.

Questions:-

What is a port of supply/refuge and how does this work with current regulations on 14 days quarantine❓

Given that there are an increasing number of vessel that wish to return to Northern Europe and a number of these will be single handed, are there any refuge ports in Northern Portugal, Galicia, Brittany, Normandy and even further north❓

Understand Falmouth in the UK is geared up to receive boats inbound and provide quarantine facilities❓

ps After further investigation, if you click on the 4 ports listed above you will get full details for clearance and entry.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
Monte Real Yacht Club in Spain Sent me a very nice email at the beginning of Spanish lockdown saying if you arrive in Baiona please anchor in the bay and call this numbrt and declare your entry etc. Galicia has/had completely different approach to the rest of Spain. Monte Real has challenged for America's Cup so they are special club imo - as proven by the email they sent me.

I see Joseph Conrad is at anchor in Portimao with a Dutch boat and they both came from abroad. So things in Portugal seem to be looking up (depending on your view!)

Sardinia has been welcoming any yacht throughout lockdown. They just ask you quarantine for 14 days.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
FWIW Katy Ware, Director of Maritime Safety and Standards at the MCA emailed me at work in response to a query to say:

...”Please be assured that the UK will fulfil its obligations as port state in accordance with MLC”

so I think we can take it that the UK would not be a problem.

nortada

Visit site
FWIW Katy Ware, Director of Maritime Safety and Standards at the MCA emailed me at work in response to a query to say:

...”Please be assured that the UK will fulfil its obligations as port state in accordance with MLC”

so I think we can take it that the UK would not be a problem.

Sorry to be dense but what obligations would that be and what is a port state - my first take was pork steak, which was a bit confusing.?

nortada

Visit site
It means that UK ports will continue to accept vessels in need of assistance, and crew members will not be turned away or denied medical care.

Thanks, I anticipate all ports would offer assistance to a vessel in distress or provide a safe haven in bad weather.

My target was ports that would enable those heading back to Northern Europe the opportunity of reasonable bite sized hops, rather than a single big flog - particularly significant to single-handlers.

Of course, they are equally significant to those heading south but somehow, I don’t think there will be too many of those.

Any news on Rally Portugal 2020❓

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Monte Real Yacht Club in Spain Sent me a very nice email at the beginning of Spanish lockdown saying if you arrive in Baiona please anchor in the bay and call this numbrt and declare your entry etc. Galicia has/had completely different approach to the rest of Spain. Monte Real has challenged for America's Cup so they are special club imo - as proven by the email they sent me.

I see Joseph Conrad is at anchor in Portimao with a Dutch boat and they both came from abroad. So things in Portugal seem to be looking up (depending on your view!)

Sardinia has been welcoming any yacht throughout lockdown. They just ask you quarantine for 14 days.
Quarantine where ? In a marina or at anchor , what after their 14 days can you sail within the region or do you have to stay in the marina ?

Star-Lord

Visit site
Sardinia (at the moment) quarantine is in marina only not anchor to my knowledge. Check Noonsite for Canadian Cat kicked out of Ballerics and found refuge in Carloforte... Marina even did shopping for them. At the moment Sardinia boats can go out for day trips. Anchoring and free movement in local waters still waiting for confirmation - May 18th will be next news.

In Baiona quarantine is at anchor only but Monte Real very easy to contact for extra info.

In Portimao I suspect quarantine at anchor only till further notice. Portimao marina office are easy to contact and should be able to answer any questions.

Thinking of moving house to Sardinia? Marina Sifredi in Carloforte has very good rates and supermarket delivery can be arranged. I suspect this is where the Canadians are.

Star-Lord

Visit site
So in Sardinia quarantine means stay on boat (in marina) . After quarantine you can walk around etc.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
So in Sardinia quarantine means stay on boat (in marina) . After quarantine you can walk around etc.
Sardinia (at the moment) quarantine is in marina only not anchor to my knowledge. Check Noonsite for Canadian Cat kicked out of Ballerics and found refuge in Carloforte... Marina even did shopping for them. At the moment Sardinia boats can go out for day trips. Anchoring and free movement in local waters still waiting for confirmation - May 18th will be next news.

In Baiona quarantine is at anchor only but Monte Real very easy to contact for extra info.

In Portimao I suspect quarantine at anchor only till further notice. Portimao marina office are easy to contact and should be able to answer any questions.

Thinking of moving house to Sardinia? Marina Sifredi in Carloforte has very good rates and supermarket delivery can be arranged. I suspect this is where the Canadians are.
Basically same as Sicily , you do know your allowed if your contract in the marina runs out your allowed to go to Another marina as long as you have a contract ready with them.
A French yacht went out on Sunday half hour later he was back in the CG call him back .

Star-Lord

Visit site
Basically same as Sicily , you do know your allowed if your contract in the marina runs out your allowed to go to Another marina as long as you have a contract ready with them.
A French yacht went out on Sunday half hour later he was back in the CG call him back .
Here you have to go to coastguard and ask permission to leave (for local waters / change marina). An American boat wants to go to mainland Italy but not allowed yet. If he wanted to sail to to another country then they will not stop him.

If I want to anchor I have to ask permission and prove I have been here for quarantine. Easier to wait till restrictions in local water lifted.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

GHA

Visit site
Some cases are just ridiculous, there reports of boat being allowed in Portugal from Spain and after doing there 14 days quarantine allowed to stay and here a boat that's been out at sea for a very long time , told to they can't stay.
Who make these rules up .
Jumping up and down changes nothing though. The legal situation looks clear, only transit boats allowed .
MQzuLwu.png

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Jumping up and down changes nothing though. The legal situation looks clear, only transit boats allowed .
MQzuLwu.png
That's from noonsite ,
the problem is it's not the same rules for everyone quite a few boats now have arrived in Portugal all reported on the Med site and have been allowed to stay which makes it very confusing for tho who read the report and think they are now ok to go , only to arrive to find out other wise .
This isn't just Portugal, here in Italy the same , just last week a boat arrived in Sardinia and stayed two days later another boat north of the same island was told to move on .