Could the Thames benefit from something similar?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Sussex police are enlisting the help of horse riders to help fight rural crime and antisocial behaviour:
The Sussex Equine Rangers partnership seeks to promote collaboration between Sussex Police and local riders to tackle crime in the countryside and anti-social behaviour.[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Led by the Mid Sussex neighbourhood police team, there will be a pilot scheme of 18 volunteers, aged from 18, from the riding community who while out riding on their horses in remote areas, will be the eyes and ears and report back anything suspicious to the team.[/FONT]

Could we use a similar scheme on the Thames to help combat speeding and other issues? Would you volunteer to be a Thames Ranger ?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Over 30 years ago this was mooted by me to the then Thames Valley Assistant Chief Constable. He looked into the idea and dismissed it even though H.M. Coastguard were running a hugely successful scheme "Eyes & Ears" which could have provided the basis of ideas.

Chris_d

Visit site
Doesn't sound too good to me, speeding is all too subjective if not measured properly, one mans too fast is another's perfectly acceptable minimum speed to maintain steerage etc....
Those speed limit signs you see by the side of the road which measure your speed and have a smiley or sad face would be good.
As for reporting suspicious goings on, shouldn't everybody do that anyway?

Actionmat

Visit site
I rarely see cruisers speeding during the day(but have experienced a few late at night). Most offenders IMO are speedboats and ribs that have been trailered in for the day(and probabably unlicensed)and the usual suspects. i.e: Connaught.
If the EA won't check a timetable against distance and act on it, then why do they bother with the occasional speed and wash campaign?

oldgit

Visit site
Gosh you've lived a sheltered life - you should have been at Windsor last weekend !

Blimey and I thought Medway was rough area...our local TV station played some footage of some poor chap being violently done over on Mill Island....