Cost of a liftout shock!

Chris_d

Visit site
Went into my local boatyard today to enquire about a liftout, so I can service my drives and antifouling etc... £51.40 / metre +vat /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif nearly had a heart attack, suffice to say I've now booked in down at Reading for half the price.
Whats the prices like further down, my last lift was 2 years ago at £200 for cash.

Chris_d

Visit site
No they had price list and everything, he was just getting his diary out to book me in when I stood back up. I've heard of these sort of prices on the south coast, but rural Oxfordshire! I think they know they have a captive market.

Phill

Visit site
My local yard quoted £500 if I'll wait till summer. If I have it done now about £700. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Needless to say its now booked in elsewhere.

BG1

Visit site
I share your shock! Mines booked for a lift out after Easter. Don't expect much change from £600 including scrub. What choice do we have, stuck halfway up the Thames.

The South Coast yards do lots of deals on summer scrubs, but you never hear of it on the Thames.

Soon, nobody will be able to afford to go boating with all the other increasing costs. Still there'll be loads of mooring space for the houseboats. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

oldgit

Visit site
"but you never hear of it on the Thames."

Last year somebody was def. doing a deal on this job .
Boatone (a tightwad of some repute in your parish) can prob give you more details.

Chris_d

Visit site
Re: Heres a good deal...

Linden Lewis marine at Shepperton Marina are doing a good deal, liftout and pressure wash + one coat of waterways antifoul all for £9.99/ft.

BG1

Visit site

OK. So for a few hundred more, I can have the boat lifted when I want and stay out for as long as I want. Will need to do the anodes, stripper bearings and check the cutless as well as antifoul of my choice.

I guess you get what you pays for, but it still hurts. As an engineer, I'm glad I can do my own maintenance. Would have given up years ago if I had to pay for someone else's labour.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
Linden Lewis marine at Shepperton Marina are doing a good deal, liftout and pressure wash + one coat of waterways antifoul all for £9.99/ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

This deal is on again this year but only during July, August and September.

Chris_d

Visit site

Unfortunately they are 2 days downriver from me, otherwise I'd definately go for that deal. Think I'll send their leaflet to Benson, so they can ponder why they haven't got much work coming in.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately they are 2 days downriver from me, otherwise I'd definately go for that deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, here's what you do:
1. Call Shepperton and book the boat in for a Monday. Arrange for them to send you a security card so you can get into the marina after hours (£10 deposit)

2. The weekend just before, on the Friday evening (or even earlier if you like) you drive two cars down to Shepperton and leave one in the carpark. Drive home in the other one.

3, Spend a nice weekend cruising down to Shepperton and leave the boat there Sunday night ready for Monday morning lift out. Car there ready for you to drive home.

4. Boat should be finished and ready to take away by end of week so just reverse procedure following weekend - or even take a day or two extra and see Hampton Court or pay teddington_lock a visit ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif