Corsica & Sardegna

Swagman

Based from the UK, try to get away on a boat for a
www.sailblogs.com
Hi Matey,

We've only visited Carlofortini on southern Sardinan coast and it was a low cost, family run, tumbledown sort of marina.
Cost around 40 euros for a night in April for a 46 footer.
Town very industrial but found superb restaurant which seemed to outweigh other objections.....

Have heard West and Northern Sardinian marinas are relatively expensive, but that several down east coast are much much more moderate.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

JOHN

manish

Visit site
i went last summer and it was grate. in corsica bonifacio is amazing i would spend atleast 2-3 days there as there is lot to see and do. on the approach there are two little coves on your port side that are grate to just anchor up in and go for a swim. as for places in and around sardinia, well there are too many to list. i would have loved to have spent some more time in santa terisa on the north east side of the island. there are also quite a few little archipelago's that are to die for around there, with a very rich marine eco-system so take some snorkles. the archipelago's are about a few hours away from santa terisa and they also run proper diving trips there. the one thing you would get loads of is grate food. in bonifacio there is a whole host of eating and drinking establishments right by the marina as well as in santa terisa. just to let you know though la madalena on a friday or sat night is full of US navy personel but they dont have fights (apart from with eachother). have a fun time guys
manish /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Vindleka

Visit site
We spent from March to October of last year sailing all the way round Sardinia, visiting almost all of the marinas and anchorages on the way. If you would like any detailed information on any particular marina or area, please pm us and we will gladly pass on the information.

tcm

Visit site
even when weathr is settled on mainland, corsica nd sardinia can be windy - right on target from the golfe de lion so worst from the west.

I have been St florent on north side, very pretty, nice anchorage and no point paying to go inreally., Same applies to calvi, which can be a lot of swell. Calvi streets all narrow. Dramatic coastline on nwestern side, pink granite. Ajaccio lots of facilities but not much to see apart from napoleons bithplace whichis er just a house.

Cspirit

Visit site
We have sailed these islands for the last three or four years, and we are returning to them from Sicily this summer. As a previous poster has said, the Bonifacio Strait/Maddelenas area is delightful - probably the best cruising area in the Western Med. Western Corsica is also beautiful - Girolata is particuarly memorable. Out of season, mooring costs are reasonable, tho' by no means cheap. In high season it is almost impossible to get into harbours to get water and fuel, let alone get a berth for the night. Large mobos and luxury yachts seem to have preferential treatment (we are a modest 10 metres). Water is a real problem in summer, particularly in Corsica, where marina taps may only be switched on for a couple of hours a day. If you can't get in to fill up then, you may not be able to get water.

Long term berthing can be found, but is not cheap. We had a year in Santa Teresa di Gallura, which I recommend. Alternatives in Sardinia are Alghero (Ser Mar - reasonable but rolly in a swell) or Porto Torres (cheaper but a bit industrial). In Corsica we've had a year in Maccinagio - difficult to find a berth but good once you've got one. Calvi is impossible for long term, but good for a few days, as if St Florent. Both impossible in summer.

However, despite these difficulties, these are two beautiful islands. Don't be put off - they really are worth visiting.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Echoing the posts of others - both islands spectacularly beautiful, excellent cruising but very crowded in August. Anchoring is pretty much weather dependent. If there is a mistral in the Golfe du Lion you can pretty much forget anchoring on either west coast, with a few sheltered exceptions, as the swell can be horrendous. Anchorages on the east coast of both are few and far between, especially Sardinia other than the north east corner, where there are plenty.

Marinas - depends whether you are a millionaire or not. Any on the Costa Smeralda are unbelievably expensive, anything up to 500 Euros per night for us, at 10.6 metres. Anchoring just outside is free - you decide! We managed to get into marinas in Corsica in August at not too great a cost but you often have to behave like the French - get in a berth first and argue later. Sardinian marinas further south are reasonably priced but, as with all Med visitor berths, it helps if you arrive about mid-day and don't move at the weekend.

PM me with your e-mail address for a list of where we anchored and berthed in circumnavigations of both islands last season, with costs of marinas.

LadyJessie

Visit site
Agree with above that this is a great sailing ground, you will love it.

Can I add my recommendation of Cagliari on south east of Sardinia. It is a wonderful local town, very untouched by the tourism of Costa Smeralda. There is a very nice family run marina here called Marina del Sole. It is the one directly east of the large yacht club one. They are very reasonably priced for this area, 22 euros for 12 meters in June, and the family will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. They also own the small shipyard next door so if you need any repairs, this is the place.

Silverado

Waterford, Ireland, boat's in Preveza, Greece
Visit site
We visited the Costa Esmeralda last August and would have enjoyed it if there wasn't a Mistral blowing at the time. The marinas were all full and we were forced to find whatever anchorage were could in the conditions.

Shore visits were lovely if expensive and it was a great opportunity to see the maga yachts of the super rich.

It is vital to ensure that your anchor tackle is adequate for heavy conditions. If you are unlucky to be caught in a Mistral my advice is to find any safe berthage if possible and if not just head for the Italian mainland.

gfbalduc

www.shaula3.ws
As already said by the ohers, these two islands are among the best cruising grounds in the Med and - being relatively near the French and Italian mainlands - they get very crowded expecially in july and august.

In both islands, the western coasts are much more feature-rich than the relatively dull eastern coasts, but they are also subject to the Mistral which can blow up to F8 or even F9 in the middle of summer (typically for 3 days, but last year it blew almost constantly for a month!).

The Mistral can also be strengthened by the daily breeze, expecially on the northern coast of both islands.

The good thing is that normally the Mistral does not come un-announced: weather forecasts will give you a 1- or 2-day warning.

I would normally advise to circumnavigate the islands anti-clockwise, i.e. going south on the western coast and north on the eastern one.

In Sardinia in summer months there is a hefty regional tax on all boats over 14 meters (unless they have a yearly contract with a sardinian marina); collection of the tax is reported to be somewhat random, but I would not count on it...

All ports and marina's are crowded in july/august, although you may have a chance if you arrive mid-morning OR if you are a big boat....

The only site where I have always found a place is Calvi, not in port but in the many nearby moorings (you need a tender with a reliable outboard, wind is often fresh and blowing away from the town!).

Other places where finding a berth MAY be not entirely impossible are Alistro and Campoloro on the corsican eastern coast, but there's a reason as they are in the middle of nowhere...

On the sardinian western coast, on top of Alghero and Carloforte, you may consider also the Bosa Marina harbour (but NOT inside the river if there is any swell!) and Torre Grande inside the Oristano gulf.

The Maddalena archipelago is worth several days' stay, but consider that is is a nature reserve, with rules and a FEE to be paid to stay overnight.

Other threads that may be of interest