correct termonology for advisory to the Coast guard

Ceejay

Visit site
Tell the CG nothing.....just a bunch of beaureaucratic interfering busibodies, who occasionally do worthwhile work................runs for cover.......... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CJ

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Just call the CG on 16 and he/she will respond, "Your call sign go to channel xx", you select the channel and call again, then advise them of your plans, boat name, number of passengers and ETA at destination, or return to same port ATA.

Don't forget to call in on arrival or they will start looking.

It's a good idea to give them a mobile phone number too.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just call the CG on 16 and he/she will respond, "Your call sign go to channel xx", you select the channel and call again, then advise them of your plans, boat name, number of passengers and ETA at destination, or return to same port ATA.

Don't forget to call in on arrival or they will start looking.

It's a good idea to give them a mobile phone number too.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when you get to the other channel, make sure you can spell the name of your boat Phonetically as they like to see (hear) people struggling!!!

alant

Visit site
do they phone the coast guard at your port of depature so inform them of your safe arrival?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
No

S

Skyva_2

In the UK, they will not start looking unless your shore contact informs CG you are overdue.

It helsp if you log your CG66 Boat identification details with CG - you can do this online.

If you report arrival to the CG on arrival I think they report back to your home port area CG.

Ceejay

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to call in on arrival or they will start looking

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the case. They will only start looking for you if someone else reports that you are overdue or, that you have not arrived.
CJ

RAI

Visit site
Gad! Northern Nanny State! South of the South Coast, I have never heard a yachtie calling a passage plan in to the coast guard.

absit_omen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to call in on arrival or they will start looking

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the case. They will only start looking for you if someone else reports that you are overdue or, that you have not arrived.
CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew! That's a relief - for a mo' I thought they may have been looking for me since 1975!

peterb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And when you get to the other channel, make sure you can spell the name of your boat Phonetically as they like to see (hear) people struggling!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason is that it gives them time to write it down.

I called in once with a passage report from 'Saoirse'.

"Thank-you sir, can you spell the name of your vessel, please."

"Sure, SierraAlphaOscarIndiaRomeoSierraEcho" (Well, I had been practicing.)

"Thank-you, I got as far as the first Sierra. A little more slowly please?"

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
That's the great thing about our emergency services - they put up with the pi$$ takes and still respond to the turkeys.

BTW I agree with Morgana - call on 16 and say ROUTINE TRAFFIC then in their reply to you they can direct you to working channel without the need for you to call them again and say what you are calling about. All saves #16 air time.

Thats what I do when I an solo and remember!

oldsaltoz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That's the great thing about our emergency services - they put up with the pi$$ takes and still respond to the turkeys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a volunteer with the Search and Rescue Squad in the North West of Western Australia many years ago and trust me anyone who put us down was known to all, just waiting the day the day or night they made that call for assistance.

We responded but lets say that sometimes you just have to go by the book, other times you can make it really easy.

My worst run came around 1700 hrs, a 29 foot power boat with father and son on board, 23 miles out with the anchor down after running out of fuel and drifting towards the rocks near the end of the peninsula, the anchor was sort of holding was his description.

Now it just so happened this was the lowest tide for the year that day and we had no chance of getting the rescue boat in for almost 2 hours.

Muggins here decided I would take the small boat, we dragged her to water and I was gone.

The sea was anything but smooth and I copped a battering all the way, just as well she had a bilge pump installed, I don't think it stopped all the way out almost directly into the wind.

Arriving about 90 minutes later I called base and confirmed my arrival and advised the power boat was about 30 feet off the rocks in a rolling sea.

There was no way I was going alongside to hand up 2 x 20 litre fuel containers, so got the owner to throw me a line, I tossed them over one at a time and he hauled them in. His Son about 14 at the time was as sick as a dog and of no assistance.

I waited till he got the fuel in and the engine started, he had a remote anchor winch so getting that aboard was no problem.

As soon as he was underway I turned for home, just in time a nice tropical storm with the special lighting effects. Oh well at least the salt would get rinsed off me.

About 5 or 10 minutes later he passed me heading for the same harbour, not even a wave to say thanks at the time nor when he got apparently.

Avagoodweekend......

Ceejay

Visit site
No one is saying that the CG don't do good work in emergency situations. They do however work in many other spheres and you may find that if you had to deal with them in anything other than a leisure craft situation, that they have fearsome powers and not much in the way of a sense of humour in exercising their powers.
CJ

A

Anonymous

"Falmouth CG, Falmouth CG, Falmouth CG, this is Tits Up, Tits Up, Tits Up Routine Traffic on Channel 16 - over"

Or if in the Solent call on 67, I think, which is the small boat calling channel? In which case call Solent CG instead /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif