Correct side to lay down a two stroke outboard

crazy4557

Visit site
I have a 4hp Yamaha 2 stroke outboard of early 90's vintage. Can anyone advise the correct side to lay this down for a medium term i.e weeks at a time?
Is it the tiller side or the gear lever side?
Thanks in advance

Moonshiners

www.speedandstrip.co.uk
Be sure to drain the fuel out of the carb float bowl. (run with fuel tap off until stops) then shouldn't matter either way.

Although I tried to rest mine on the prop side as this mean the fuel was furthest from the filler cap and least likely to leak, but depends how full you keep it i guess...

[2068]

Visit site
If it's anything like my Merc 5hp two stroke the answer is "doesn't matter".

The main thing is not to raise the prop end above the powerhead: ideally rest the powerhead (heavy) end on something cos you don't want water to dribble up the exhaust pipe back into the engine.

dv.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
OK; I see. In that case, my inclination would be to rest it prop side down - it should rest on the cavitation plate at the bottom of the shaft, thus protecting the prop, and the back of the petrol tank (so long as it doesn't leak /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) at the top. You'd need something to prevent it falling over, of course. If that won't work and you want to rest it on one side, I really don't think it matters which one you choose.

crazy4557

Visit site
The height of the storage locker is too low to store it other than on it's side. It's resting with it's engine on a blanket so is slightly higher than the prop end. I guess this will be OK according to the advice .

VicS

Visit site
I'd rest it on the tiller side rather than the gearshift side if possible as the gearshift levers can be a bit fragile.

In fact if you down load and read the owners manual you'll find that it says to fold the tiller back and rest it on that!

RTFM as they say!

KevB

Visit site
I've an old 4hp Yam and don't bother worrying which way I lay it down. I don't even bother emptying the carb. been doing this with it for about 5 years and starts after a couple of pulls.

Elessar

Visit site
Youy've got an engine bay big enough to have a dance in - why not fit at outboard bracket to the bulkhead?

Mine goes on the ladder at the mo, thinking of adding a bracket myself but I've a lot less space than you.

Yes I know it means petrol in the engine bay but better an upright engine in a vented bay than on its side in a locker.

JohnRob

Visit site
I have always been told not to lay it down on the gear lever side because this is liable to bend/damage the mechanism

ItS

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The sensitivities of the gear lever and the inconvenience of a dribble from the carb are mere trifles (and fairly obvious). The big (and not necessarily immediately apparent) issue is on no account whatsoever allow the thing to lay other than with the shaft sloping downwards towards the propellor until completely and utterly dry, including inside. Otherwise you risk getting water in the power head and ***ing your bearings. The cost of replacing the bearings may well exceed the value of an almost new outboard. (Thus speaks the voice of experience and one who would now think twice before lending an outboard to a chum.)

Of course none of this applies if it's an old Seagull, which, by all accounts, will take as much abuse as they give you grief. (I recall a story of one being used as a sea anchor then running right as rain after little more than a rinse and quick squirt of WD40.)

Alrob

Visit site
dont bother which way I lay mine down but I have a 50mm polystyrene insulation sheet in the locker floor
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2 stroke of course