Corfu to Preveza?

dgadee

Visit site
Used to fly Dublin to Athens (used the taxi service info provided by fellow forumites) but moved house and there are now cheap flights available to Corfu with Ryanair. Anyone know how feasible it is to do Corfu to Preveza?

Tranona

Visit site
Bus from Corfu to Athens goes via Preveza or ferry to Ignonumitsa (hope I spelt it right) and taxi or one way car hire. pretty much all day job, but flights into Corfu often arrive early morning. Return might be more problematic.

dgadee

Visit site
Thanks all. I think it's not so easy as I imagined - maybe Athens and then bus out or use the taxi service from Preveza.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We did it a few years ago and I doubt much has changed. Our flights in were after lunch and we just got a bus into town. I remember that there was a big gap in the timetable and an earlier arrival would probably have required a taxi to the ferry. Our hotel was close to the ferry terminal and was a short walk. Luckily, a 3-4 day ferry strike had just ended that day and others in the hotel had extended their hotel stay. Not that uncommon a problem in Greece.

Buses were not very frequent from Igoumenitsa and I remember that they quite often did not run on days our flights were likely to arrive. We settled on a suitable flight, Parga car hire dropped a car off at Igoumenitsa and collected it a week later at the boatyard near Aktio airport.

It worked out quite well and I suspect it was better than Athens but only because of flight times and costs from Scotland to Athens. I imagine it would be different for someone near Gatwick or Heathrow. Bus and ferry costs were minimal and we were going to hire a car anyway. I think the flight to Corfu avoided an overnight hotel stay in Gatwick or Athens.

AndrewB

Visit site
There is a daily Sky Express flight during the summer between Corfu and Preveza, around mid-day, takes 30 mins or so.

I've also used the Athens coach from Igoumenitsa (or Corfu town via Igoumenitsa) to Preveza. It used to be daily, don't know now. Once in Preveza, take a taxi from the bus station through the tunnel to the airport. It is best to make an advance booking for this coach. Coming back, it does not necessarily stop in Preveza unless there is a booked pickup.

Last edited:

Hooligan

Visit site
I have my boat in Lefkas Marina. Flights from UK to Preveza stop at end November. Locals advise me that at end of day easiest way is fly to Athens and either rent a car or get a bus from Athens. Apparently 4 hours first time you do it by car and two hours the second time!!!!

Tranona

Visit site
Well worth doing. Fast way is overnight ferry to Dunkirk and direct route through Belgium, France, Switzerland. I stopped overnight in Locarno then one day drive to Brindisi, overnight stay and day time ferry to Corfu. Shorter drive and longer ferry to more northern port such as Ancona for ferry.

We did return over 6 days from Brindisi with key stops at Modena/Maranello for Ferrari, Mulhouse for the Schlumph museum, Molsheim for Bugatti experience (and wine) and Rouen for the old GP circuit - and cathedral of course. Great trip.

dgadee

Visit site
Well worth doing. Fast way is overnight ferry to Dunkirk and direct route through Belgium, France, Switzerland. I stopped overnight in Locarno then one day drive to Brindisi, overnight stay and day time ferry to Corfu. Shorter drive and longer ferry to more northern port such as Ancona for ferry.

We did return over 6 days from Brindisi with key stops at Modena/Maranello for Ferrari, Mulhouse for the Schlumph museum, Molsheim for Bugatti experience (and wine) and Rouen for the old GP circuit - and cathedral of course. Great trip.

Yes, ferry from Ireland costs a fortune to the continent but very cheap in comparison via south coast. Open up less costly horizons.

[3889]

Visit site
IIRC the bus from Igoumenitsa goes to Ionnina where you change for the Preveza bus. Ionnina is a nice town by a lake and worth a visit.

Other threads that may be of interest