Coppercoat advice

paulevery

Visit site
I bought a 1981 Sadler 32 last year and have had the hull grit blasted and gelshielded. I plan to apply coppercoat instead of antifouling. I've read the recent coppercoat posts on here so know most of the pros and cons! However I have one question.

How do the bits where the cradle has been? It is a 2 pack epoxy with limited pot life so can't just leave a bit in the tin. Also it needs 4 coats so can't leave until sitting in the slings ready to go back in the water.

Any thoughts or experience would be gratefully received.

Thanks. Paul.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
We had exactly the same problem when we did Galadriel, so I know what you mean!

What we had to do was to have the yard move the boat enough in the cradle to expose the part that had been hidden by the pads. we then had to go through the process of 2 coats of epoxy, then the 4 coats of coppercoat.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi - I have just completed Gelsheild200 - all six coats plus antifouling. Thanks god the job is finished.

This is what the yard did so that I had clear access to the bottom. I cannot imagine doing the job and moving the props every day!

ImportedPhotos00038.jpg

ImportedPhotos00039.jpg

The boat ahead of mine is waiting to have coppercoat (or whatever it is called now) applied. However unless the boat is inside, it looks like the job might not get done before Easter, which means I won't go in!!!! The point I am making, is that you must have ideal temeperatures, including the 24 hours each side, to get the necessary number of coats on. Whilst Gelsheild was a dead sinch to put on, being very tolerant of temperature, I gather that coppercoat is very critical and much thicker and is consequently more difficult for us amateurs to apply without unsightly runs.

So if you want to be in before Easter......

By the way, I don't really understand the economics of putting copper coat on - seems to be an awful lot of work and cost, when the annual antifoul on a 40 footer cost £120, and a mornings work. Even coppercoat needs an overall sand down each year to expose new copper (I Think) which is a hard job.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Is your boat really just sitting on its keel with a wooden prop each side under the toe rail to keep it up? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is your boat really just sitting on its keel with a wooden prop each side under the toe rail to keep it up? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pictures don't go high enough. The 4 props are about 1 mtr above the decks, and a fastened with chain and bottle screw to the main chain plates, and for the stern ones - to the stern cleats. So definitely not just under the toe rail!!!!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Scarry picture! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as bad as it looks - 6 other large boats are also set up like this in the yard. They have been doing it for years and not had a problem ....yet..... wish I hadn't said that!

lw395

Visit site
Shout "fetch!" and see if that dog can get one of the sticks out!
I think I might prefer to do the bits over the props on another day!
After all, you have to do the bottom of the keel in two hits?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Shout "fetch!" and see if that dog can get one of the sticks out!
I think I might prefer to do the bits over the props on another day!
After all, you have to do the bottom of the keel in two hits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dog doesn't do sticks - just sniffs.....

If you had to put 6 coats of epoxy on, which means mixing hardner into the tins, you have to have clear access to do a coat in one go. Anyway - it hasn'nt fallen over yet! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

paulevery

Visit site
Thanks for the pics, it definitely look scary to me, but I will mention it to the yard! It is quite a few degrees warmer down here in Jersey so I am hoping to get a window in the next couple of weeks when it is warm enough.

My own thoughts are to use temporary props to be able to lower the main cradle props, do the 4 coats of coppercoat on the hull but leave the rudder and keel to do along with the bare bits where the temporary props have been a couple of days later. Will that work?

Thanks. Paul.

Krusty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...By the way, I don't really understand the economics of putting copper coat on - seems to be an awful lot of work and cost, when the annual antifoul on a 40 footer cost £120, and a mornings work. Even coppercoat needs an overall sand down each year to expose new copper (I Think) which is a hard job.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth:
After investigating the pitfalls of an outdoor DIY application, I had Piota done professionally under cover, after stripping gelcoat. On expert advice the scheme was:-
4 coats of Blakes SFE200 epoxy which is/was solventless, in preferrence to Gelshield (which was reported to continue releasing solvent and cause separation of impermeable coatings applied over it):
5 coats of 'Copperbot' (as it was in 1996).
It seemed quite expensive at the time, but I reckoned that if it lasted 8 to 10 years it would pay for itself, and refreshing by sanding was easier than antifouling.
It is now going into its 14th season, with no sign of 'thinning' anywhere. Performance has been as good as any antifouling I've used in forty years.
As for the 'hard job' of sanding: it needs only a light skim over; just enough to give the glint of a few grains of copper. Even the lightest sanding machine can be too harsh .
I've just done this year's, by hand: it took all of two hours!

Boomshanka

Visit site
I spoke to a guy on the Coppercoat stand at SIBS last year who told me that there's no need to sand the coppercoat before going back in the water. I'm in my first season with coppercoat on... I'm thinking to sand one half and not the other to see if it's true... would certainly last longer if you didn't sand it every year.

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
[ QUOTE ]
I spoke to a guy on the Coppercoat stand at SIBS last year who told me that there's no need to sand the coppercoat before going back in the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have been asked to give a customer's hull a wipe over with a mild acid solution to remove the tarnish, sounds interesting!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
See what the yard will do - what ever happens they will have to be involved - you will not be allowed to do it yourself because they are responsible if something goes wrong.

Good luck anyway......

Danny Jo

Visit site
Freestyle is about to have her bottom Coppercoated by the nice men in the yard. They are proposing to move her inside: she'll be supported partly by her keel and partly by multiple Acrows suspending her from the shroud plates and deck fittings.

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
[ QUOTE ]

The boat ahead of mine is waiting to have coppercoat (or whatever it is called now) applied. However unless the boat is inside, it looks like the job might not get done before Easter, which means I won't go in!!!! The point I am making, is that you must have ideal temeperatures, including the 24 hours each side, to get the necessary number of coats on. Whilst Gelsheild was a dead sinch to put on, being very tolerant of temperature, I gather that coppercoat is very critical and much thicker and is consequently more difficult for us amateurs to apply without unsightly runs.

So if you want to be in before Easter......

By the way, I don't really understand the economics of putting copper coat on - seems to be an awful lot of work and cost, when the annual antifoul on a 40 footer cost £120, and a mornings work. Even coppercoat needs an overall sand down each year to expose new copper (I Think) which is a hard job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coppercoat is still called Coppercoat

Last time this allegation was made about the criticality of conditions for applying Coppercoat, it was directly refuted by Coppercoat.

Here is the link

Facts about Coppercoat

Secondly, when I was seeking technical advice from Coppercoat, I was specifically advised that there was no need to abrade the Coppercoat each year. That was a "hare" set running by a competitive, similarly named product, which has since disappeared off the market.

If you want further information, go on the Coppercoat web site where you will see the PBO editor's boat still going strong after 14(ish) years. She independently attests to the efficacy of the product, and even had the rudder antifouled with other products to provide a performance comparison.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
See what the yard will do - what ever happens they will have to be involved - you will not be allowed to do it yourself because they are responsible if something goes wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

For goodness sake Chris! Why would the yard be responsible? Are they responsible if you get your epoxy wrong?

We applied our Coppercoat 5 years ago in an MDL yard, no problem at all, And out of interest, and I cant remember how many times I have posted this, we are having better success with our Coppercoat than my friend is with his, difference? He is berthed 10 metres away but his Coppercoat was applied professionally in a shed with heaters, its too bloody hard to work properly!

Coppercoat is not a panacea, its not perfect, but whilst people are out spending money on antifoul, spending their time putting it on in the freezing cold, spending their money having their boat lifted, we are in the water, we will have the boat lifted in June taking advantage of a summer discount, change anodes, have a bit of a clean up, change the saildrive oil etc. It will take a weekend.

If anyone want to speak to me about Coppercoat, then PM me their phone number.