Coolant leaking on way to calorifier

Upsidedownsailor

Visit site
My coolant has been dumping out in the bilge beneath my galley, not into the engine bilge, so I believe the leak is somewhere on the way to the calorifier which is in the cockpit locker behind the galley, but I'm not sure where to start as it's all so deeply hidden underneath the bilges, can anyone advise me on where to look for the leak and what might need replacing?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, I'm still quite new to boat maintenance.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
My coolant has been dumping out in the bilge beneath my galley, not into the engine bilge, so I believe the leak is somewhere on the way to the calorifier which is in the cockpit locker behind the galley, but I'm not sure where to start as it's all so deeply hidden underneath the bilges, can anyone advise me on where to look for the leak and what might need replacing?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, I'm still quite new to boat maintenance.
There are only three options:
The leak is at the connection with the heat exchanger

The leak is at the connection with the calorifier

The pipe has sprung a leak through wear somewhere between the two.

Start by checking the two connections they have to be both reasonably accessible and visible especially if the leak is substantial. You could do this by wrapping a paper towel around each connection. If it's neither then it has to be the hose which you should withdraw ( tie a mousing line to it when you do) and replace.

Paulfireblade

Visit site
Have you checked the heater hose running to and from the engine to the calorifier (basically looks like a mini water immersion tank on my boat.)

The pipes seem to get forgotten but won’t last forever.

Has the coolant level gone down in the expansion tank (looks like one under bonnet of car)?

mrangry

Visit site
If you suspect the pipes they are not expensive, just rubber heater hose will suffice (£3 odd a metre) or for a little more you can get silicone ones

plumbob

Visit site
A slight aside here, but now and again I've felt that an endoscope would be a useful thing to have. Just got one from Amazon, £55 with an additional side camera and 4 inch wide screen. 11ft probe so ideal for searching for leaks where it's difficult to see. Just a thought. Good luck.