Convert sail cover to stack pack

Dutch01527

Visit site
I have a conventional sail cover and want a stack pack. It is in very good condition and matches my spray hood and I am reluctant to replace it with an expensive new one. Could it be converted via:

1) sewing a bolt rope into the bottom, which is currently open, for the boom slot
2) opening the top central seam and sewing in a long zip
) sewing in rings to connect the lazy jacks

Feasable or a silly idea?

Boathook

Visit site
My stack pack sail cover fits round the bolt rope on the main. I have seen pictures where the cover is attached to either side of the boom in plastic track. If you are doing the sewing it should cost effective but if paying someone I suspect better to start from new.

doug748

Visit site
I don't blame you for considering it. A sail cover needs a lot of material length, if you make it in one shot. This is no problem for a sailmaker as they find uses for the offcuts but it can be wasteful for is the DIY'er.

You would not have enough room in the bag, but as you can add a generous strip for the bolt rope and can do similar for the zip. it is certainly possible. Figuring out how to place battens and position the lazy jacks might need a bit of prototyping. I made one with mesh insert at the bottom to aid drying the sail.

I would have a go but I don't think it would save you a lot of actual time. Only drawback is that if you don't get on with the new bag you have to make yourself a new cover to replace it.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
You may have enough material but not quite as simple a job as it sounds, much easier starting from scratch. A bolt rope can be sewn in for the boom track or, as mentioned, plastic or aluminum tracks can fitted either side of the boom (I used plastic) and bolt ropes sewn on either side. Pockets have to be sewn along the top of each side for battens and webbing loops or eyes fitted for lazy jacks. Also needs a top panel with zip and zip cover or it rots in UV.