Conventional Folding Prop v Racing Folder

savageseadog

Visit site
Anyone any opinions or facts on speed differences between the conventional a racing profile props as sold by Flex o Fold and Gori?

Tranona

Visit site
Anyone any opinions or facts on speed differences between the conventional a racing profile props as sold by Flex o Fold and Gori?

Under power or sail? Former would likely be slower for given rpm because of the smaller blade area. latter probably as much in the mind as for real. Presume they have different penalties if difference is significant.

savageseadog

Visit site
This is a racing forum so I thought people would assume I was talking about sailing performance. I don't use my propeller for propulsion when racing, not even "accidentally"

Tranona

Visit site
Then the second part of my response is my view. So it depends on whether the rating is different. No doubt Flexofold will have some data so why not ask them?

Saraband

Visit site
I had a 3/4 tonner with Bukh 20. Changed from a very old, possibly original, folding prop of unknown manufacture to a racing Gori model which was the one recommended by Silette Marine. No discernible difference under sail, under power the boat had similar speed but perception that we had slightly less punch into a head sea. Reverse was less effective and I had more prop walk with the Gori.....no criticism of Sillette as online reviews suggest the Gori is known for this. There was a very good PBO article comparing folding props which also advised the same.

From the above you can guess I would rather have stayed with the old prop but years of neglect by me and others had taken it beyond the point of sensible refurbishment! Knowing what I now know about props I would probably buy the cheapest folder I could find, possibly even secondhand and put the money saved into the sail budget.....I always wanted an excuse for a very light # 1 Genoa!

Rating wise I am on a local system that only classifies type of propeller, not dimensions, so I don't know how the props are handles on IRC or similar.

Last edited: