Connecting small solar panel to 25mm rail

Gixer

Visit site
I'm fitting a small solar panel soon and am researching the parts I need.
What I struggling is trying to find are clamps/brackets for connecting to the push pit that doesn't cost as much as the panel. The panel I'm going for only weighs about 2kg and is 350x600.
The Noa Adjustable Rail Mount looks like the gold standard, but other than the cost my rail is slightly curved so these might not work.
Other end of the scale are a couple of clamps like this which I could fix to the frame on the panel. trouble with these they are not quick adjustable for aligning to the Sun.

There's lots of quick release clamps I could experiment with but don't want to waste money if someone has already been through this. Anyone found something clever?

Thanks

Dave

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I'm fitting a small solar panel soon and am researching the parts I need.
What I struggling is trying to find are clamps/brackets for connecting to the push pit that doesn't cost as much as the panel. The panel I'm going for only weighs about 2kg and is 350x600.
The Noa Adjustable Rail Mount looks like the gold standard, but other than the cost my rail is slightly curved so these might not work.
Other end of the scale are a couple of clamps like this which I could fix to the frame on the panel. trouble with these they are not quick adjustable for aligning to the Sun.

There's lots of quick release clamps I could experiment with but don't want to waste money if someone has already been through this. Anyone found something clever?

Thanks

Dave
As said, Conduit or cable clips. Also just search for 25mm clips and see what is suitable or can be adapted.

steveeasy

Visit site
2 for £10. Pipe clamp brackets. Work great. That’s 2 sets.
Attach 2 flats of Stainless steel and attach these to the tube.
Ebay
320679838000538F11473

Steveeasy

Steveeasy

Attachments

• E7E2DB1C-AB6C-4413-9E7D-A2987920B7C9.jpeg
    E7E2DB1C-AB6C-4413-9E7D-A2987920B7C9.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I have typical plastic pipe clamps that holds my panel on Superanne .. on their own - they do work loose on the rail allowing it to rotate in strong wind and need something to close them tighter ... I use tiewraps around the ends and that sorts it nice ...

I have thought about using a Hatch stay to adjust its angle ... then the clamps would not need tiewraps.

The panel is screwed to a thin piece of ply - to which the clamps are screwed / glued.

415EduUl.jpg

Its small panel - but bigger - I would just another clamp or two ...

Gixer

Visit site
Thanks Refueler, I'm thinking something similar for getting the right angle if I can't get enough friction from the clamps. I'm looking at modifying an old extending mop handle.

geem

Visit site
This is how we do it. The plastic clamps can be adjusted for friction by tightening the bolt a little. I fixed a piece of s/s angle within the panel frame to reinforce it. Our 180w panels are fairly heavy. received_507957111680926.jpeg
It work faultlessly

Sea Change

Visit site
I just cut some 6mm threaded rod to length and bent it to make u bolts. Then two holes through the frame of the rigid panel.
It was a bit fiddly to get the nuts on, but it cost basically nothing to make up using stuff I had lying around.

iamtjc

Visit site
I fitted a solar panel to my 272 (basically the same boat). It was the best upgrade I have done.
However, I am about to change the mounting in the light of experience. I currently have the panel somewhat balanced on the rail. Maybe 1/3 above the rail and 2/3 below it. The idea was to reduce the load on the clamps when setting it at a fairly flat angle.

While this works, I found that I had just ruined the best place to sit and steer. I find sitting sideways looking forward difficult after a few hours. The starboard side has the tillerpilot using that space so the port side seat on the stern locker was a favoured seat. Sadly the solar panel now intrudes into that space at sitting head height.

So I will change to mounting the panel to completely hang down from the rail and use a stick as a stay to prop the panel up at a flatter angle. That way they will be entirely outboard of the rail when raised.

I'm afraid I don't have access to a pic of the clamps I will use on my mkII version. I'll post a pic when I can.

Gixer

Visit site
Oh wow iamtjc, thank you for taking the time to answer. I had the same idea of 1/3 above and 2/3 below, great to hear your feedback on it protruding into the cockpit. That corner is a nice place to sit when helming. Can I ask what Watt panel you have?

This is a mock up of what a 20w panel would look like. You’re right, once tilted if could be a pain.

F26F520A-48E3-4BFA-9803-3A951A0EC0F3.jpeg

Martin_J

Visit site
FWIW, I bit the bullet and went for the NOA mounts. They're very well made and the panels have been on the pushpit without worry, probably for the past ten years..

They have also coped with some pretty rough weather with simple pieces of plastic pipe (just resting in place) to support them at a better looking angle.

Screenshot_20240724-224700_Gallery.jpg

The pipes just have a small v shaped notch cut in their top end that slots onto the panel edge.

Even when you take the support pipes out, they don't drop that quick, such is the closeness of fit onto the rail.

William_H

Visit site
If OP goes for the P clips with rubber insert then if he had a bit of stainless steel sheet and tin snips he could make his own. Use tape for insulation if that is what is needed. Yes probably need a sheet of ply or something under neath to attach panel. Either balance the panel by mounting attach in centre of panel with panle protruding inboard or unbalance with a need for strong clips or a strut. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
I like my pipe clips on the small panel - but I have a couple of folder panels to mount on my 38 .... 'geems' pipe clamps are a better idea - but less quick release than my clips ...

The factor of hanging of rails and propping up lower end to angle appeals on these larger folders ... but the pipe clips will need to be in line with panel to make sure they don't 'unclip' ...

Another way is to use double side Velcro .. I have it for my models at 1/2" wide ... pass it through panels mount holes and then round rail .. it 'sticks' to itself ..

iamtjc

Visit site
Can I ask what Watt panel you have?
I have a Victron 50w panel. It is more or less square.

Here is my mkI setup
IMG_20220509_185308246_HDR_sm.jpg

I added 2 vertical bars (aluminium angle) to the frame to stiffen it. I put rivnuts into the vertical bars to screw into. You can (I hope) see the brackets I used on the vertical bars. I added some rubber from a bicycle inner tube to provide some friction. The black bits on the outside edges are more rubber, just to stop the panel rattling on the pushpit. It is all a little tricky because of the curve in the pushpit. .
The controller is in the locker below.

I will change to using these brackets just hanging from the rail after changing the rivet holding the top of the aluminium angle to a rivnut.
Hope that helps