Connecting single NMEA 2k device to multiplexer

bromleybysea

Visit site
I’m considering buying a Raymarine Element plotter which only has NMEA 2K connection. the rest of my system is NMEA 0183 including `Tack~Tick instruments auto-pilot and a PC plotter with AIS provided by a USB connected AIS receiver. I would like to add a wi-fi multiplexer to this system, either the Vela unit or a Quark one with AIS for extra redundancy. can I connect the Raymarine plotter to the multiplexer simply with a cable or will I need to set up a small “backbone” with tee pieces, terminals etc which wold add substantially to the cost. Alternatively, would I be able to connect the plotter via wi-fi? I’m also considering the OnwA range of plotters but am a bit concerned about reports of water ingress and general build quality but they do offer a lot for the money. I’m looking at various options.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I’m considering buying a Raymarine Element plotter which only has NMEA 2K connection. the rest of my system is NMEA 0183 including `Tack~Tick instruments auto-pilot and a PC plotter with AIS provided by a USB connected AIS receiver. I would like to add a wi-fi multiplexer to this system, either the Vela unit or a Quark one with AIS for extra redundancy. can I connect the Raymarine plotter to the multiplexer simply with a cable or will I need to set up a small “backbone” with tee pieces, terminals etc which wold add substantially to the cost. Alternatively, would I be able to connect the plotter via wi-fi? I’m also considering the OnwA range of plotters but am a bit concerned about reports of water ingress and general build quality but they do offer a lot for the money. I’m looking at various options.
You would need a N2K "network".

Look at the Garmin Echomap series of plotters, which have an 0183 port, saving the cost of a N2K network. They also come with pre-loaded charts. Just make sure you choose a model that supports AIS as the cheapest ones do not.