condensation - ingress into balsa around window

fjweaver

Visit site
We've just had a pre-purchase survey done on our Newbridge Venturer & the only major fault was that around the windows, damp has got into the balsa core on some of the windows.
The recommendation is to dig out some of the balsa and fill in again.
Does anyone know what I should use to fill in the gaps again. We've got a carpet lining inside so I need to be careful.
Also I would like to top it off with plastic/rubber surrounds - any ideas?
many thanks
Frank

graham

Visit site
A friend of mine had a similar problem and after cleaning out the soft wet balsa he filled the space with a polyurethane glue.I think its called balkatan or something similar.

The advantage of it is that it will stick to damp surfaces and doesnt need mixing.

If no one else can come up with the name I will try to find out and post again in a few days.

On his boat the problem was in the middle of a deck section so he cut holes to get at it glassed them over again before pushing the glue into the void through smaller holes with a grease gun.

fjweaver

Visit site
thanks Graham - I've tried a search on that name but no joy and would really appreciate it if you can remember what it was as i would prefer the no-mixer type.
Frank

jamesjermain

Visit site
Having dug out the damaged balsa, I would coat the raw edges with an epoxy sealand then fill back to the original line with an epoxy paste made up of epoxy resin and micro-baloons - obtainable in most chandleries.They either refit the existing windows, or, I would suggest, fit nice new ones. As I recall the old Newbridge windows were pretty cheap and nasty.

JJ