Computer Tips for slow learners.

graham

I have recently discovered that holding down Alt then pressing 2 4 8 one at a time gives you a degree sign (usefull if making waypoint lists ,courses etc ) eg 51°26.45N

Also discovered about 2 minutes ago that F5 refreshes a webpage.

There must be loads of other self taught computer semiliterates like me out there so what tips can you clever guys give us.

BrendanS

Gosh, there are all sorts. I posted a tips page a while back, I'll see if I can find it again.

One of the most useful for me is resizing text by holding down CTRL and then using the mouse scroll wheel. very useful on sites with small text (doesn't work on all sites)

BrendanS

lockwood

Rather then use IE (Internet Explorer) why not try Firefox instead. It has a built in pop up blocker, renders pages faster and has a nifty feature called TABBED BROWSING.

It also is a lot more secure as most spyware is written specifically for IE.

Its free and has a facility to add free plug-ins. I have just installed an auto refresh option on my browser. No more F5'ing for me.

try it - you won't go back http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

graham

Re: Winkey?

At the risk of some pi$$ taking why havent I got a WINKEY

Lots of the shortcuts seem to need one?

lockwood

A winkey is the key (usually at the bottom left of a modern AT keyboard) with the picture of the windows logo

BrendanS

Here's a look up table for other ASCII codes to make signs by holding down ALT and typing number (scroll down to second table). Some people might find they have to use number pad on right hand side of keyboard to make these work in some browsers and applications, as top number keys don't always work

http://www.lookuptables.com/

If the NUM LOCK is on, hold ALT and press 248 on the num pad

With NUM LOCK off, hold ALT and SHIFT then hit 248 on the num pad etc etc

Another option for Windows users if none of the above work (probably an issue with laptops with no numeric keypad) is to use Character Map. Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tools on Windows XP. Highlight the character you want (in this case the ° symbol, click "Select" then "Copy" and then paste it into your post or document.

stevebrassett

Are you sure you haven't got a winkey?

Maybe it just isn't big enough. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ShipsWoofy

good one!

Alt F4 closes the active window, so if you get one of those annoying browser windows that open in full screen and you can't close the bugger, this is the way.

Ctrl C will copy highlighted text, Ctrl X will cut it
Ctrl V will paste from the clipboard
Ctrl F will allow you to text search a webpage

BrendanS

I'm a great lover of Firefox. It needs a few more generations of releases before it can be recommended to the masses. It's only just out of beta, and it shows sometimes. Probably best kept to afficionadoes or techies until the bugs sorted? Many of the 'enhancements' are normal within IE.

Ships_Cat

Long shot while on keys - anyone know how to get a Microsoft Office Keyboard to start up with the Function Lock defaulted to ON?

This keyboard has actions associated with each function key, they take precedence unless the Function Lock key is depressed once first (ie works similar to NUM LOCK)

John

snowleopard

yes, there are similar shortcuts for .net and .org (on firefox at least) but unfortunately none for .co.uk but what do you expect if you buy american software.

graham

quote"Are you sure you haven't got a winkey?

Maybe it just isn't big enough."

Now I know what I am looking for it seems I have two!Amazing that this keyboard is 5 years old and I still dont use half of it.

Or were you talking about something else? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

snowleopard

have you also noticed the key just to the right of the right-hand winkey? that brings up menus, rather like right-clicking the mouse.

Stingo

If I recall correctly, you need to change the setting in your bios. When you PC starts up, look for a message that says something like "Press Fn to enter Bios". The go through all the options and look for the NumLoc option. BE VERY CAREFUL not to change any of the other settings.... could really ruin your day.

Hope this helps.