Compression fitting to NPT. I am in Ireland.

Seadawg33

Visit site
I am in Ireland and can't find the parts I want to convert from a compression fitting to NPT (tapered pipe thread) I am considering using a sealant such as loctite 542 in order to make the connection. This is not the way I would like to do it but don't have time to wait for the correct parts. I know I might need to do it again but the other choice is not have a water separator at all.

Thoughts?

Seadawg33

Visit site
This is a new installation. In the US we have a vast selection of adapters. I need to get from 1/2 female compression to a 10 mm barb fitting. If I could find a 1/2" male compression to 1/2" female NPT I would be golden.

penfold

Visit site
I wouldn't try and bodge it; the filter head will be pot metal and forcing in a BSP or metric fitting is quite likely to damage the thread and may not seal anyway, better to leave it out until the correct fittings can be obtained. Unless you're buying fuel from filthy sources water should not be an issue in the short term, does your tank have a sump and drain tap?

IanCC

Visit site
I am in Ireland and can't find the parts I want to convert from a compression fitting to NPT (tapered pipe thread) I am considering using a sealant such as loctite 542 in order to make the connection. This is not the way I would like to do it but don't have time to wait for the correct parts. I know I might need to do it again but the other choice is not have a water separator at all.

Thoughts?
Talk to asap supplies. Pretty sure bsp will fit one time. Threads get bent in the process. I used 577. My memory says that in the instructions, it says it can be used for this specific purpose.

oldbloke

Visit site
I'm very much not an expert but, I suspect one of your issues is the mix, and surprising level of interchangeability, of imperial and metric in plumbing, not just the British sphere of influence but also on the continent.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I'm very much not an expert but, I suspect one of your issues is the mix, and surprising level of interchangeability, of imperial and metric in plumbing, not just the British sphere of influence but also on the continent.
bsp, npt and metric pipe threads are basically the same thread count but with different thread angles, ptfe tape and they usually all will work together

Bilgediver

Visit site

Thoughts?
You might have a problem as these are not standard sizes over here. However if you contact someone such as Hydrasun in Aberdeen who supply the oil industry who are very much americanised you might get lucky

Contact Us

• Telephone: +44 (0) 1224 618618

jdc

Visit site
NPT is an American standard, roughly the US equivalent to BSP, but ever so slightly different! But beware that Racor amongst others often use NPTF which is yet another slightly different thread form. NPTF shouldn't need Loctite or thread sealing goop.

In the UK you can certainly find suppliers, and afaik they can post to the Ireland, try for instance Cotswold Engineering, Cotswold Engineering Supplies Online Store – Brass Couplings – NPT Male Stud Elbow

Alternatively, why not just order from the US, for instance from buyfittingsonline.com and pay the UPS to Ireland? At the worst you will be changed VAT with no hassle or punitive taxes etc, and might even be able to reclaim VAT if intended for a foreign registered boat; it's not a third-world country and you speak the language!

Last edited:

StevieD

Visit site
Where about in Ireland? I've just bought npt --> 10mm compression fittings locally in the north last week or so for a Racor filter!

Other threads that may be of interest