Compass Use

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
My liquid compass bulkhead compass is cloudy plus low fluid. I have numerous ways to know where going inc hand bearing. I only deem to use it occasionally for tacking angles. Does anyone still check it annually ?

dansaskip

seabear.uk
My compass suffered a loss of fluid from a faulty seal - I replaced the seal and I refilled it with Baby Oil - yes is is the correct fluid to use and cheaper and easier to find than "proper" compass damping fluid. I wouldn't be without my bulkhead compass - an essential piece of kit in my opinion and use it all the time.

Wansworth

Visit site
My compass suffered a loss of fluid from a faulty seal - I replaced the seal and I refilled it with Baby Oil - yes is is the correct fluid to use and cheaper and easier to find than "proper" compass damping fluid. I wouldn't be without my bulkhead compass - an essential piece of kit in my opinion and use it all the time.
On a coaster the compass developed a big bubble we tried Gin which worked if I recall took a lot of fiddling to inject the Gin in

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I have had mine corrected after my refit, 3 years ago by a professional, but that is it. I have checked it as I sail in a transit rich area, so easy to do. I used it in anger a couple of years ago in poor visibility, but that is it really.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I topped up with baby oil some time back.Nice for a while but now too frothy. The compass, Contest 100, has a brass screw where liquid can be added/taken away. Any ideas what the real stuff is and where to get it ? Might be worth a try . Have googled a bit but nothing clear cut.

johnalison

Visit site
The idea of doing without a compass crops up occasionally. Although I habitually steer by the compass, I could possible manage without. I'm less sure about what I would do if all the electrics/GPS went down though while stuck in the middle of a fog bank.

flaming

Visit site
Haven't yet taken the cover off the compass this season. We have a digital heading display which is better for our purposes. The good old fashioned analogue compass is reserved for electrical power failures.

Reactions: FWB

Wansworth

Visit site
Back in 1976 an electrical engineer asked us to test his digital compass on our voyages on the coaster.It wasnt that handy to steer by as numbers were difficult to relate to the off course that the compass did when hand steering which was normal but it was handy if you nipped down to make a pot of tea and some toast it was Easyto see thenumbers through the hatch to the galley from the wheelhouse,so half successful🙂

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I use the flux gate and don’t have a fixed analog compass. For total electrical failure I have a hand bearing compass.

dunedin

Visit site
Haven't yet taken the cover off the compass this season. We have a digital heading display which is better for our purposes. The good old fashioned analogue compass is reserved for electrical power failures.
Same here. So far done 16k miles on this boat, but less than 200 when the cover has been removed from the magnetic / analogue compass. The only situation it is used is in very thick fog and swirling tides - eg when leaving an anchorage close to Corryvereckan in thick fog.
On the rare occasions when we steer to a heading, rather than a shore object / buoy etc, the heading display with BIG digits is easier to see from the helm.