colvic/perkins

G

hello ive just purchesed a 20ft colvic with a perkins 4108 but i need to fit the engine but do not no if i should use a direct drive or a 2/1, its for fishing any advice would be greatley appreciated.
also decks (ply) need lots of work any advice would not go a miss,and are these boats/engines any good??????
Thanks this is my first project im sure you can tell!

chippie

Visit site
Re: Ply reply

If you want to replace your ply decks you can achieve a good result by using a construction grade ply and epoxy saturating it.
It pays to treat whole sheets as trying to do it after cutting is finicky .
Lightly sand the plywood (to remove any grime and contaminants).
I make a batch of mixed epoxy and add methylated spirits to it so it is really runny.Then use a paint roller to apply allover the sheet; keep applying the mixture as it really penetrates --about 4 coats each side at least,but the more the better. Once this has gone off any more will only sit on the surface. You can then cut into the appropriate shapes for fitting , making another slightly thicker mix for sealing all edges. Finally fit with epoxy glue. A light sand and rinse after fitting and the decks are ready for 'glassing over and then whatever non skid paint system you choose.
I hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

dickh

Visit site
Almost certainly you will need a reduction marine gearbox with about 2:1 or 2.5:1 reduction ratio, but this will depend on prop size and speed required. You don't say whether the engine has a gearbox fitted or you intend to fit one. If you fit one you must fit a marine gearbox as these have a thrust bearing built in, automotive gearboxes are no good unless you can fit an external thrust bearing. As you will use it for fishing I suspect a 2.5:1 or even a 3:1 reduction ratio. You will get a lot of info from a marine engine supplier like Lancing Marine, who can supply all the bits to marinise the engine and props etc.
Perkin 4108 and 4107 were used a lot in boats, especially on the Norfolk Broads and are usually reliable.
Regarding decks, make sure you replace with a Marine Plywood or very good quality exterior WBP type. See Robbins Timber for more info on Plywood - www.robbins.co.uk
Good Luck

dickh
I'd rather be sailing...