Colregs, Three longish blasts?

Baddox

Visit site
Sitting in the marina at weekend we watched a cruise ship slip her lines. As she eased away from the wharf she let out three longish (four second) blasts on her horn, and repeated this about half a mile down river. Was the signal just a crowd pleaser chosen because it has no meaning to mariners, or does it have some significance that I’ve missed in all the colregs I studied?

Leighb

Visit site
It seems to be something that cruise ships do when departing. We go to Madeira each February and all the cruise ships do a lot of hooting on departure, if there is more than one in port they all reply, it can get rather too much at times.

Fourbees

Visit site
I think they just do it to show off. They clearly don't mean that their engines are running astern, which is the only official manning of three (short) blasts.

Baddox

Visit site
I think they just do it to show off. They clearly don't mean that their engines are running astern, which is the only official manning of three (short) blasts.

At about four seconds each, these were definitely longer than three short blasts meaning operating astern propulsion. The second time, coincided with passing a quay busy with people so I guess it’s just an audible version of waving goodbye.

little_roundtop

tntatsea.wordpress.com
Sitting in the marina at weekend we watched a cruise ship slip her lines. As she eased away from the wharf she let out three longish (four second) blasts on her horn, and repeated this about half a mile down river. Was the signal just a crowd pleaser chosen because it has no meaning to mariners, or does it have some significance that I’ve missed in all the colregs I studied?

We get many cruise ships in Agios Nikoloas on Crete in the summer. They all do something similar when leaving though there doesn't seem to be a recognisable signal, they all use something slightly different. I've always assumed it's just a "goodbye and thanks" signal.

snowleopard

Visit site
I was surprised to hear all the River Dart pleasure boats using 3 blasts correctly at all times. Definitely short ones though, < 1 sec.

3 long of course is Morse 'O' with the single letter meaning of 'man overboard' but obviously not applicable in those circumstances. I guess it's just tradition to toot as you scoot.

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
Three long blasts has no definition that I can find in the IRPCS. However, Rule 36 says that any sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorised elsewhere in the Rules may be used to attract attention. In the context of a criuse line manouevring out of a port may wish to gain attention of other vessels.

RobbieW

Visit site
hmmm, when a Disney cruise ship visited Southampton sometime in the late '90s it played the first 7 notes of 'When you wish upon a star' over and over on the ships horn. Cute the first time.......

Edit - thats what you get for going and doing something else for 40 mins, then posting without checking for any updates :)

Last edited:

Malabar

Visit site
Three long blasts is the traditional "farewell" signal for liners. It is not covered by the collregs. Cunard tend to signal on leaving Southampton Water. Most others don't bother. Personally I think that it is nice to retain a bit of tradition now and again event if it not entirely within the rules.

ionian

Visit site
Three Long Blasts

This used to be a regular practice when passing other company vessels deep sea, with large ensign and signal letters hoisted.

New ships sailing on maiden voyage also gave 3 longs to tugs pilot boat etc, at the shipbuiling town Im from (when they used to build ships that is)

TamarMike

Visit site
I recall that Waverley usually gives three long blasts on her final departure of the season from regularly used piers, apparently three LONG is a traditional farewell salute.