Clubs-enquiry

Eventide26

Visit site
Greetings All

This I'm sure will have been asked before, but rather than search for hours, could anybody advise on the following:-
I am taking up sailing again after a 20 year break (Long story- Armed forces etc etc) and I'm looking for suitable coastal clubs in and around the Great Yarmouth area, and up to a 50 radius of that location?
I'll be getting a YM Eventide 26 and I'm particular looking for the cheaper end clubs, for the main reason of sailing on a tightish budgets. So the hands on, working party, get your hands dirty style of clubs is what I was raised on, many moons ago, so this would suit nicely.
Good jumping off points for East Coast cruising?
Marinas are not neccesarily my cup of tea, unless anyone can recommend one that is reasonable on mooring/ berthing fees etc.
Any recommendations much appreciated.

I've left off budgetry figures to see what comes forth /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Adrian

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Don't know GY area but if you come down to the Orwell you will find moorings at Pin Mill and further up nearer Ipswich (avoid MDL as very expensive). Further down coast on Blackwater is Marconi Sailing Club (google for website). Don't know about availability I am afraid.

I keep my boat at Brightlingsea on HMs pontoons - looking at £24.92 per foot ex VAT for a year in the water / £18.16 per foot ex VAT for 1 Apr to 31 Oct.

Living in Norfolk, I choose B'sea as it is only just over an hour away but once on boat there are loads of places to go for the day / weekend which I feel are lacking from GY / Lowestoft.

I was in RN about 20 years ago. Which service were you in?

Eventide26

Visit site
Hi Flipper
Thanks for the valued input, and I hear what you say about GY area lacking cruiser facilities, although that will soon change with new marina being built.
I'll be sure and check out the places mentioned, thanks.

I was a pongo - Ex PWRR (Prince of Wales's Royal Regiment) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But I've been sailing since I was 3....Think I missed my calling /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris_G

Visit site
Adrian, Try Waldringfield SC on the Deben, about 5m upriver from Felixstowe. You can then apply for a swinging, full or half tide mooring, run by the fairways committee or a more expensive one from Waldringfield Boat Yard. The club is mostly dinghy orientated but has a small, friendly yacht class and the Deben is a good sheltered river. No pontoon access though, keep your dinghy on the beach.
HTH
Chris

sailorman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Adrian, Try Waldringfield SC on the Deben, about 5m upriver from Felixstowe. You can then apply for a swinging, full or half tide mooring, run by the fairways committee or a more expensive one from Waldringfield Boat Yard. The club is mostly dinghy orientated but has a small, friendly yacht class and the Deben is a good sheltered river. No pontoon access though, keep your dinghy on the beach.
HTH
Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

You can then apply for a swinging, full or half tide mooring, run by the fairways committee

DEAD Mans Shoes or move into the Village /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mudplugger

Visit site
Adrian, as an Eventide owner (bilge Keel?) you could probably take the mud, might be worth having a look at Wivenhoe S.C. on the Colne, or Manningtree on the Stour, both of which have the type of ethos you have talked about, with the resultant economic benefits

Santana379

Visit site
I believe the Orwell Yacht Club may fit your description fairly closely. I understand for instance they hire a crane and work together to launch/recover boats, and that there is a wealth of experience and knowledge amongst the members. The hardstanding is on the other side of the entrance to Fox's Marina at Ipswich, and the moorings are in the Orwell Bridge area.

http://www.orwellyachtclub.org.uk/

There are a few (very enjoyable) East Coast meetings for owners of Maurice Griffiths designed boats, through the Eventide Owners Association and the Eventide Owners Group.

Eventide26

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HTH
Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

You can then apply for a swinging, full or half tide mooring, run by the fairways committee

DEAD Mans Shoes or move into the Village /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Hmmm, I have a few years left /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eventide26

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Adrian, as an Eventide owner (bilge Keel?) you could probably take the mud, might be worth having a look at Wivenhoe S.C. on the Colne, or Manningtree on the Stour, both of which have the type of ethos you have talked about, with the resultant economic benefits

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks, yes it will be a bilge keel, so yes I have already considered the drying out aspect of moorings, as long as its not something silly like only access 30 mins ether side of HW on a spring /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eventide26

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the Orwell Yacht Club may fit your description fairly closely. I understand for instance they hire a crane and work together to launch/recover boats, and that there is a wealth of experience and knowledge amongst the members. The hardstanding is on the other side of the entrance to Fox's Marina at Ipswich, and the moorings are in the Orwell Bridge area.

http://www.orwellyachtclub.org.uk/

There are a few (very enjoyable) East Coast meetings for owners of Maurice Griffiths designed boats, through the Eventide Owners Association and the Eventide Owners Group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Barbican....Thanks for the input, and yes I know of the EOG, as I'm adviser on their pages for diesel/ petrol engine installations and maintenance, and DC electrical items. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chrisdnichols

Visit site
Hi Adrian, If you are still looking, the Backwater Sailing Club runs over 100 swinging moorings at Heybridge Basin, which offer around +- 3hrs access over HW. Their details can be found on their website, and they are a self help club with very good facilities for both yachts and dinghies
Best of luck
ChrisN

johnwhatton

Visit site
Just a thought we enjoyed the walton and frinton a nice friendly place that looked after us and you could get a deep water swinging mooring in the area with outmuch trouble

Lots of places to go to or just to hang around and potter
so its worth a thought

Bi

Mandarin331

Visit site
We sail out of Felixstowe Ferry where they also have a sailing club. We have an all tide swinging mooring and find it central for sailing both ways along the East Coast or up the river Deben if the weather is bad. The club is very friendly as is the yard. Costs for both are reasonable but it's best to speak to Andrew for a price for the mooring.
Contact Felixstowe Ferry boatyard for a mooring ask for Andrew and Felixstowe Ferry sailing club.
Happy hunting
Alison