Clinton J9 outboard

Bodach na mara

Visit site
God, that's an old one! I had one of these in 1962 pusing my GP14 almost onto the plane. Unfortunately, it died on me after a short time. The repair shop told me that the big end roller bearing had broken up and the rollers had passed through the transfer passage into the cylinder, where they had jammed the piston into the bore. Did I want the bits back or would they throw them out for me?

The motor was a nice powerful brute and light for a five horse. It had a seperate fuel tank which was also convenient. I never did find out whether I could have done anything to prevent its demise.

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson

BarryH

Visit site
Try looking here to see if they have what you want <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.frontier-trading.com/clinton.htm>http://www.frontier-trading.com/clinton.htm</A> They cover a wide range of old outboard stuff. I think your clinton is of the late 40's early 50's period

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

BobWilliamson

Visit site
Many thanks for your comments Ken. What happened to yours, I would like to try to avoid, this is why I need the information before I get her going. She seems free enough but I need to be sure her circulatory system is functioning correctly before she is put under stress. Another reader has also sent me some information which might prove useful too. Anyway thanks again Ken, perhaps we will make contact again soon. BW

<hr width=100% size=1>

BobWilliamson

Visit site
Many thanks for your information Barry, I have searched for something like this site using many search engines in the past but never had any luck, but thanks to you I feel sure it will prove fruitful.
Extreamly useful tool this, is it not?

Anyway a very many thanks to you again Barry, perhaps we will make contact again. All the best to you....... BW

Just as a matter of interest I understand this motor to be 1957 but I could be wrong of course. BW

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Another sorce maybe Chas Newans, he used to have a collection of vintage outboards. Don't know if he ever had a Clinton though. Worth a phone call if nothing else. Speak to the man himself though, the bods in the shop are next to useless.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I don't know what happened really, I was just motoring along when the engine slowed and died. It restarted but stopped suddenly after a few seconds and was seized solid.

I am confused about the "circulatory system" reference as the motor I had was air-cooled. It was a 5-horse-power beast and my experience put me off air-cooling for a while. It wasn't as if the weather was warm or anything (we are talking typical Clyde summer here) so I was concerned that there appeared to be nothing I could have done to predict or prevent the failure, other than not re-starting it before it had been stripped and checked after it failed.

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson

BobWilliamson

Visit site
Hi Ken.
Yeah, the circulatory system, being four stroke the crank case is usually lubricated by the petrol and oil mix but not always, Clinton J9 ?????? also there is a lubrication system for the shaft. What kind of lubrication system is that and how is it fed. Air cooled systems are perfectly OK, never had a problem that way. but vital to be aware of the other aspects and types of lubrication systems. Dont want mine to do the same as yours! (sorry)! The other readers information was fruitful. I have been in contact with a company which holds the information so hopefully I will be 'wised up' fairly soon and then I can get to work stripping the old girl down, I suppose I could have gone in blind but it is far better to have some idea were one is going in advance.

Anyway nice to have a few words again..........BW

<hr width=100% size=1>