Cleaning Cockpit Cushions (kapok)

Plomong

Visit site
On the advice of Lady Plomong, I washed our cockpit cushions in the washing machine of a washeteria, at 30 C, and "delicates" program.

Apart from not spin-drying them, which was expected, as the imbalance on the rotating drum was considerable, the machine appeared to do a good job.

Until, that is, they dried out, when the stains shown on the attached image appeared.

Does anyone know what may be the cause of this ?? And more importantly, what may be the solution ??

Will a careful hand-wash of the affected parts with maybe a mild detergent be OK, or maybe the following product (which I have to hand): http://www.fr-informacion.com Limpia Tapicerias Espuma Activa ???

All suggestions welcome,

(an uncomfortable) Plomong

Attachments

• Stains on Cockpit Cushions Kapok 4.jpg
    Stains on Cockpit Cushions Kapok 4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
Probably salt. I'd try hand-washing the affected areas with a brush and some soap before running them through the machine again.

Plomong

Visit site
On the advice of Lady Plomong, I washed our cockpit cushions in the washing machine of a washeteria, at 30 C, and "delicates" program.

Apart from not spin-drying them, which was expected, as the imbalance on the rotating drum was considerable, the machine appeared to do a good job.

Until, that is, they dried out, when the stains shown on the attached image appeared.

Does anyone know what may be the cause of this ?? And more importantly, what may be the solution ??

Will a careful hand-wash of the affected parts with maybe a mild detergent be OK, or maybe the following product (which I have to hand): http://www.fr-informacion.com Limpia Tapicerias Espuma Activa ???

All suggestions welcome,

(an uncomfortable) Plomong

An update on the situation:

I tried the upholstery cleaning product mentioned in my original post, and it seemed to work, somewhat. Needs further trials before deciding if it is the solution.

On the advice of Lady Plomong and eldest daughter, I washed one cushion by hand using carbolic soap and hot water, really hot, with lots of brushing, then rinsed the cushion in the bath with plenty warm water. The cushion looked better when wet but as it dried the stains returned, this time more widespread and darker. Looks like the discolouration is related to water temperature and originating from the kapok.

Am now waiting for that cushion to dry completely before trying on it:
a) The above-mentioned upholstery product;
b) A straight wash, no soap or other products, and cold water;
c) A spray-on stain remover, "Cebralin", used to remove grease splashes from clothes. Brushes off when dry about 20 minutes later.

I'll post further results as they become available.

The job is made easier by the good weather we are having -- 26 degrees today, 32 degrees forecast for next Monday / Tuesday.

Plomong