Cleaning a pillow water tank

lindsay

Visit site
I have so far had to leave my 29 footer in the Mediterranean for two months for a cataract operation. I have a UK custom made, flexible, 100 LT pillow type plastic water tank which I left almost full, as usual. In the past I have used it without dreaded diseases after 3 months absence. What should be done should it have to be left for 6 months, or 1 year? The manufacturer does not reply.

sarabande

Visit site
I would use hydrogen peroxide. It is not alkaline like any liquid or tablet bleach product, and there is no aftertaste.

A small bottle of 3% or 6% HP will deal with a 100l tank. There is only need to empty the tank if you have algal or fungal moulds visibly contaminating the output before you start.

Preferentially I use Endosan products for cleaning agricultural spray tanks and lines. Used on board they have controlled my tanks and pipes perfectly, and if sprayed round the heads and galley on leaving, they inhibit mould and smell.

Just a very happy customer. endosan.com

bedouin

Visit site
I use "Milton" or some alternative tablet intended for sterilising baby bottles and the like. Fill the tank with that made up to the recommended concentration, let it stand for a while then drain and flush.