Classics instrumentation.

jamie N

Visit site
On Scuttlebutt currently is a thread concerning instrumentation on yachts. It's a fairly abstract notion for me, as Stakkr does have a compass and an echo-sounder, as well as Navionics on a tablet, but nothing else. Am I correct in believing that this is quite the norm on more elderly yachts, or do owners tend to 'gear up' their boats to wind speed and direction, COG and SOG always in vision from both sides of the cockpit and so on?
For the engine, I've got a light for the alternator, but haven't yet fitted an engine temperature gauge, which I am having to monitor 'manually', which I do admit, isn't the best option, but no less than on an outboard.

srm

Visit site
If you want to remain 'original' then all that is needed is a compass, towed log, burgee and possibly a 'flashing light' echosounder.
When I got my first cruising boats, around 40 years ago, that was the norm. Well funded racing yachts would have bulky B&G instruments.
How you choose to fit out your boat depends on you and the type of sailing you do. That's the fun of owning a boat, we can make our own decissions.
I still carry a sextant, but my primary navigation aids are all electronic. They are mounted on the chart table bulkhead and visible from the cockpit. The burgee has been replaced by a windex, illuminated by the tricolour light for night sailing. The wind instruments failed, as they eventually did on all my previous boats that came with such instruments, and I see no need to replace them. The boat tells me when to reef or set more sail and windex or back of neck tells me the wind direction.

Others will have very different set ups, which is all part of the diversity of saiing.

dunedin

Visit site
Many (expensively restored) wooden classics seem to have modern electronics hidden behind a false wooden panel when in port. Think some even have old devices like Seafarer on show, but not used.
However, modern sensors fed to wireless transmitted, and using tablets in waterproof cases could be a better option for a balance of functionality and aesthetics/originality these days

PhillM

Visit site
Paean has a bit of a mishmash. We have a NASA log and depth. Both work somtimes. We have Vhf / ais reciever with in built GPS. We have a garmin 120 GPS and etrex hand held. I have an iPad with navonics and an iPhone.

But I tend to navigate by paper chart and use the electronics as backup and double check.

VO5

Visit site
If you want to remain 'original' then all that is needed is a compass, towed log, burgee and possibly a 'flashing light' echosounder.
When I got my first cruising boats, around 40 years ago, that was the norm. Well funded racing yachts would have bulky B&G instruments.
How you choose to fit out your boat depends on you and the type of sailing you do. That's the fun of owning a boat, we can make our own decissions.
I still carry a sextant, but my primary navigation aids are all electronic. They are mounted on the chart table bulkhead and visible from the cockpit. The burgee has been replaced by a windex, illuminated by the tricolour light for night sailing. The wind instruments failed, as they eventually did on all my previous boats that came with such instruments, and I see no need to replace them. The boat tells me when to reef or set more sail and windex or back of neck tells me the wind direction.

Others will have very different set ups, which is all part of the diversity of saiing.

And don't forget the hand lead.
To make it really proper, a chronometer and stopwatches and the Nautical Almanac are also de riguer.

Seajet

Visit site
On Scuttlebutt currently is a thread concerning instrumentation on yachts. It's a fairly abstract notion for me, as Stakkr does have a compass and an echo-sounder, as well as Navionics on a tablet, but nothing else. Am I correct in believing that this is quite the norm on more elderly yachts, or do owners tend to 'gear up' their boats to wind speed and direction, COG and SOG always in vision from both sides of the cockpit and so on?
For the engine, I've got a light for the alternator, but haven't yet fitted an engine temperature gauge, which I am having to monitor 'manually', which I do admit, isn't the best option, but no less than on an outboard.

I'm very much against windspeed & direction jobs even on modern yachts - had 2, as gifts so felt I had to fit them; totally unreliable and I was very happy to remove the last one.

It always makes me laugh when especially racing types ( I suspect with not that much real experience ) say ' I take in the first reef at X knots windspeed'.

X windspeed will give wildly different conditions with locality and tide, and I don't need a guage to tell when I'm bothered enough to reef !

Then again I did find the traditional club burgee on a halliard to the masthead used to vibrate like a bug*er, whatever I did to tie it off, so happy to use a windex on my relatively modern boat; on a true vintage job I think it would have to be a masthead burgee with wool telltales on the shrouds- as I use -and if applicable the ensign at the gaff peak, a GREAT look ! - And put up with the frapping.

As for instruments, yes if I had a classic looking boat I'd go for the old style instruments on show - ether properly working as far as possible or really throughly brief all crew coming aboard to disregard them ! With a tablet or hidden modern instruments.

I would however insist on a good visual and audible engine / exhaust temperature alarm; NASA make a seemingly quick to fit exhaust temp alarm, and this seems well worth having - while some of their kit - such as masthead windspeed - is downright atrocious, their sounders are OK, as the golden rule with them is fine as long as no moving parts ' - so I'd give the temp alarm job a go.

I have been on two boats with exhaust coolant failure resulting in zero visiblity in the cabin and choking burning rubber fumes - also no engine of course at times when it would have been handy or it wouldn't have been on in the first place !

So a discreet alarm for these - and depending where you sail, maybe a good depthsounder - would be high on my list; along with a good old style - but recently swung - compass, you're away.

Last edited: