Clash of cultures

graham

Visit site
Someone in a post further down mentions a wet bike"kindly" returning his fender dropped overboard to practice man over board with.

This reminds me of a similar instance in an anchorage when a wetsuited guy on a wetbike came alongside and without a word passed me a bacon sandwich before tearing off at 20 knots.

While munching my sandwich I could only ponder on how he had cooked it and how he selected me to recieve it.

Later that day I discovered he had ferried it across from a friends boat I hadnt noticed in the anchorage.:)

Another time sailing in company with a friend a small fleet of windsurfers crossed and recrossed our approach to minehead harbour causing much dark muttering.Only when one followed us in with our avon dinghy tied to his leg did we realise why they were trying to attract our attention.

There must be other stories of acts of kindness between different varieties of water life ,has anyone ever been towed into harbour by a submarine for example??

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: wetbikers + powerboats

sticking to the wetbikes, although the machines themselves cause lotos of wash and noise and are therefore hateful contraptions - the people who use them are very pleasant. Also, they have an excellent device for ferrying things around, and without real crusinig options, they love towing broken down dinghies, ferrying people about and so on. It gives them something to do.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AJW

Visit site
Re: wetbikers + powerboats

Nice chaps launching wetbikes at Calshot kindly towed out my car with their transit when I got the b***y thing stuck on the only bit of the slipway there that is shingle as opposed to concrete.

Conversly the rudest most ungrateful person I ever had the misfortune to help was the crew of a mini-transat racing yacht being swiftly blown down onto a lee shore at Hurst point. Spent the best part of a couple of hours towing 'em back to Lymington at 3 kts and they couldn't wait to get shot of us. I think the embarrasment of being deposited back onto the Yacht club pontoon by a bright yellow RIB was too much for them!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rabbie

Visit site
Belting along in a fresh breeze just off Hayling Bay, a gust whipped off my treasured USS Nimitz baseball cap.and in the choppy conditions I could not see it. I resigned myself to the loss when suddenly, out of nowhere came a flying windsurfer who threw my cap into the cockpit and raced off before I could even say 'thanks'!. A real gent.

<hr width=100% size=1>