CHUCKADUCKS BIG RIVER RACE DAY OUT WITH PICS !

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Yesterday was the day for the BIG RIVER RACE after all the trials and tribulations of the year we and our good chums Kev and Maria were really looking forward to a days boating and some light relief

So while I go down to prep the Boat SWMBO is preparing ships stores essential is of course the Grog and the obligatory baguette

We are all aboard at 12 and off we go we went as far as eel pie island and then came back down to moor up at richmond

The skipper of the Raggamuffin ii kindly took our lines

race2.jpg

We break open ships stores

kev.jpg

maria.jpg

And wait for the race to start this year Sting the musician is the official starter btw

Got to go now chaps as I am on cooking duty but there will be a part two so keep watching !!!!

Gavi

Visit site
Nice to see you, however briefly!

Apologies for the poor resolution (SWMBO's camera batteries failed so I had to use the phone). We survived the trip aboard Lillan:

img296.jpg

Watched a dragon boat convert into a submarine:

img292.jpg

img293.jpg

Our sponsored boat made it (many thanks!!!):

img287.jpg

Ang look who was lurking at the finish (look carefully and think about another post about an interesting boat):

img298.jpg

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
What a lovely boat ( Lillan ) but where is the engine hidden ?

Yep saw you flying past us and noted your posh clothes !!

we did think about following down but it was so nice just sitting there chilling out !

swmbo.jpg

Any other forumites were you there ??????

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Oh and while on the subject of lovely boats just up from us were some nice gin Palaces but the Ragamuffin 11 was by popular opinion the one with the most character

race2.jpg

Oh well back to coking duty now but will post some more pictures later

Gavi

Visit site
The chap sitting forward is sitting on the engine. A putput 2 stroke. The boats belong to the 1920s cruiser "Lilian", normally moored at Richmond. They were built by Mark Edwards using the original plans, apparently.

The photo was taken after we were dropped off on the day boat pontoon. That was a bit of a laugh /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's Dave, our helmsman:

img284.jpg

Ramage

Visit site
Yes, I was there! I was in a white 12ft dinghy (called Arctic Fox X) with another bloke moored to a buoy by the end of the island just after Richmond Bridge.

I shouted out: "Chuckaduck, Its me from the forum, Ramage!!".

You didn't look too pleased... perhaps you thought I was an old git complaining about your wash and shouting Damage??!!

Anyway, we waited there and over by the Richmond bankside until the three boats from Petersham & Ham came through, then we went off with them keeping station with Phoenix II, which was the boat with the Under 14 mixed crew rowing it.

We saw the safety boat with the (rescued) Dragonboat crew, and a rib with the Dragonboat balanced across it.

I am very pleased to say all our boats made the finish.

Next job was the tow back. By the time we had the rowing boats back on their mooring (disturbing a couple in a camping skiff who thought they could just moor on the mooring overnight) and recovered Artic Fox X to her trailer it was 2.00 Am Sunday morning!!

I dont think he will moor there again! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
It was all a bit confusing we did have someone before richmond bridge complaining about wash what he didnt realise was that a large gin palace had come astern and was very close so we went to starboard as much as we could to give him room to pass i must say that we were only doing approx 4 knts but our hull does make more wash than others so if it was you I must apologise

the gin Palace though was out of order why !???

well what was his hurry at some points we were at 8 knts with him still wanting to pass and it was a bit intimidating especially with the high volume of traffic

Were you the two chaps in the little dingie ??

Ramage

Visit site
Chuckaduck wrote:>Were you the two chaps in the little dingie ??<<

Yes, thats us. I was (am) the big fat red haired shouty one!

Your wash was no problem at all and far less than most, especially the Gin Palaces.

He might have been in a rush because the river was closed between Richmond landing stage and the head of Eel Pie Island from 12.00 to 14.00.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ramage

Visit site
That would be entry no 201, "The Youngs Ones, Richmond" rowing the "Jubilant" which is a Shallop.

Luckily it was not one of the boats damaged in a towing mishap in the early hours of Sunday at or about Richmond Lock. (Allegedly).

Meanwhile, here is a picture of Phoenix II, a Jolly Boat rowed by Richmond Upon Thames Explorer Scouts. The four kids rowing are all under 14.

GRR2007001a.jpg

Sorry about the pic not being too good, but it was taken using my mobile phone from an 11ft dinghy!

Keith 66

Visit site
We were there racing in Lower thames RC's four oared gig Dauntless, she was the one flying the large Essex county flag.
We had a superb day and there were some exiting moment!

bobbles

Visit site
hi. I'm the man on the boat- Geoff. It was great to meet you. It was nice to pick your brains as I am such a novice. Sorry to hear about your boat.