Chrome leather

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Is that what that soft grey leather is called that the straps on cricket pads used to be made of?

I need something to sew a protective tube round my carbon bowsprit which is looking a bit scruffy because when folding it back it rubs agains a guardwire and is scratching the gelcoat off. Is this stuff suitable? Where do I get it from? Is it easy to sew by hand with a palm? Will it survive salt-water dunkings?

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
you could try a saddlers
there a few left in walsall in the wmids
do a search under yell.com

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

townquay

Visit site
I used this to make protectors at the bottom of my shrouds and stays and as a protector at the ends of the spreaders. It looks very nice (well, I think so anyway !).
It will not be possible to sew unless you drill or punch holes first.
Also, it is recommended that you soak it in fresh water for a couple of hours before fitting it as it is not very malleable when you get it from the suppliers.
I did find that it eventually became a bit 'tacky' to the touch and this may be due to contact with salt-water. However it does not stain the sail or clothing etc. so the tackiness is not a particular nuiscance.
I'm trying to find my receipt from the suppliers and will post their address. However, when I bought it (18 months ago) I had to buy a complete 'Shoulder' at £40-odd which was their minimum sale, and this was sufficient for the bottom of 6 shrouds/stays and the ends of two spreaders on a 33-footer, with a bit left over.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

You can get it from Aladdins Cave at Burseldon in small quantities

<hr width=100% size=1>