Chichester Harbour Fees to rise or more speeding fines ?

Epirb23

Visit site
You say " There are 28 000 license holders @ £80 = £2.25m"
What a load of crappy poo!!
Try doing some sensible analysis before posting rubbish.

DAKA

Visit site
There are 28000 license holders.

My fees are about £80-£100 ? admit I didnt bother to check.

I am /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif by your attack, if it is inaccurate please say why .

I suppose you will tell me the sail craft dont pay the same as the 'stinker rich' ?????????????????????????????????????

I never knowingly post cr**, but I am always pleased to hear when I have made a mistake, thats the point of me being here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oldharry

Visit site
I think Chi Harbour will only go for prosecution where there is a situation clearly OTT, like the one Dvinell describes.

But wash varies enormously with different boats and different speeds. A truly planing boat - i.e. one that is skimming the surface of the water will produce very little disturbance. But those big bulbous things that come out of Chi marina and head off across the Solent at 20 - 30 knots never 'skim' the water in this way, but dig a fair size hole in the water which generates large steep waves of considerable power which gives anyone nearby quite an uncomfortable time. It is these powerful steep waves crashing ashore that do so much damage to the saltings in a harbour like Chichester quite apart from the more obvious safety factors when kids are sharing the same water.

Chi Harbour patrols do carry radar speed guns, and have brought a number of succesful prosecutions as a result so they must be doing the right things to ensure their training and equipment is up to scratch.

A patrolman was attacked and needed stitches 18 months ago after stopping one speedster.

DAKA

Visit site
How does the Radar gun work ?

It is used from a moving object.
It claims to give a speed against a background that is moving
The water is doing 4 knots
the waves can be doing 15 knts

Unless someone admits to the offense I still do not see how the radar gun could be accurate.
The CPS wouldn't rely on it.

jlfrank68

Visit site
They can also follow you quite easily in their RIBS and record their speed with the onboard GPS units. They can just mark when they were matching another boats speed. As far as the radar guns which I am sure are calibrated, they can just moor up on a bouy or whatever and clock you speeding, they are stationary.

tome

www.google.co.uk
You miss the point - the speed limit in the harbour is speed through the water not speed over the ground

I also wonder how they could bring a succesful prosecution if it were contested, even with a calibrated log

fireball

Visit site
I'll say again:

When the other vessel is doing 20+ knots it is quite obvious ... not heard of any fines for doing say 10 knots in chi harbour ...

I think the term is Beyond Reasonable Doubt ...

If you're caught doing 30+ knots and unpleasant about being caught to the harbour launches then whether you're doing 31 or 32 knots makes no difference ... the limit is 8 knots .. and we don't have 22 knot tides here! (Tome- have you managed 30 knots in your boat?! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I agree Tome - I do not see how they could win if you contest it. They would have to prove their equipment was perfectly functioning, calibrated etc at that time - what the current was where you were etc - that is impossible.

[2068]

Visit site
I think that the testimony that a RIB with a substantial engine (75hp) planing flat out was unable to catch up with another boat over an extended period (0.5m) in an 8kt restricted area is probably going to carry some weight in a court of law, despite the RIB not having calibrated speed equipment. Magistrates aren't stupid.

And in any case, the defendant probably pleaded guilty.

dv.

oldharry

Visit site
As I said, they do use radar speed guns, and they are getting succesful prosecutions, so they must be getting sufficient evidence.

Police cars are fitted with mobile speed guns - a guy was done for speeding on the A27 recently having been reported doing 125mph by a Police car in the opposite lane of the dual carriageway, according to the local paper, so the technology is there. Watch 'Police camera Action' and the video of a chase often not only shows the Police car speed, but the targets speed as well.

DAKA

Visit site
Iam sure the speed guns have been calibrated but the Police ones have to be calibrated every single day.
Of course they are not calibrated every day so the Police officer shows you the readout and gets you to agree the speed you were going.
You sign to agree to 89 mph, he will probably agree to round it down so doing you a favor.
If you reply "I think I was doing 70, when was your gun last calibrated and have you been fully trained" there is a 95% chance he will let you off.

As for the following and catching speeding they need to be at two set points, ie a bridge with the white lines so they can show they were 20m behind you at the start of the run and then the next set of lines at the next bridge.

The harbour launch doesnt have Radar ????????

But they would need to prove they were 10m behind the speeder and 1/4 mile later after showing 30 knts on gps they were still 10m behind
Or over a short distance you would expect the rib to have to go 30 knts to catch a boat up at 8knts !

The next problem is they need to prove they followed the same track and didnt go around the Chanel.

The Police car who caught the speeder in the opposite direction was impressive but Harbour launches will be a long time before they can get hold of that technology.

As to tyeing to a buoy, that is hardly a static platform.

Anyway main point of the Post was to say

Vote against spending unreasonable amounts on flood defenses.

And dont speed.