Chichester Entrance shallows

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Mariners are advised that the shingle beach on Hayling Island immediately north of Eastoke Point in the entrance to Chichester Harbour periodically forms a spit that extends into the channel. This spit now extends into the channel beyond the transit of West Pole Beacon and the Bar Beacon and mariners transiting the area are advised to give Eastoke Beacon a berth of 75 metres.

local NTM dated 12.03.09

Judders

Visit site
To the South? Always have done, and then some, even in 2' draft. On the other hand, I've been within touching distance of it to the East.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They must mean it extends eastwards into the channel

[/ QUOTE ] Of course. That's the side of the channel. There is no officially recognised channel to the south. The old swash-way close in to Hayling island beach was abandoned as a recognised channel years and years ago.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
It DOES mean extending eastwards into the channel - come in at half tide and see the overfalls. But contractors have this week been excavating there to dump on the seafront.

The old swashway close to the groynes suddenly shallowed ten years ago - my pics appeared in Yachting Monthly at the time.

Nowadays it's very changeable and today's profile is very different from that only a month ago.

Is there a 'short cut? Just North of the (new) Bar Beacon pile is just drying at 0.4m at LW on today's tide, but it's a very narrow E-W gully between banks of sand.

How do I know? That's where I walk the dog!

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There's still those that use it at high water, though I've never felt the urge to follow them!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And by doing so they are heading towards the shallowest part of all!

I've seen many a boat sail close to the groynes then have to tack out to sea when the depth alarm sounded.
Feel free to PM for updates.

minnitt

Visit site
This spit built up at tne end of last year. Provided you keep a close and frequent eye on the depthsounder it does provide quite a useful tide shadow when exiting Chichester harbour against the tide.

The channel off the groynes around Eaststoke Point is most unstable in my experience. Sometimes it is there and sometimes not. I would not recommend it to anyone in a yacht.

Michael Minnitt