Cheapo boatyards/marinas Ionian Greece/Albania?

AndrewB

Visit site
I had a look at Albania a couple of years ago. There is really only one marina suitable for leaving a full-size yacht: that's Marina Orikum at Vlore. The cost is as high as the most expensive of Ionian marinas. There are other places in Albania describing themselves as marinas such as at Sarande, but that is only a shallow harbour suitable for small motorboats, and with no security.

As you've realised, Ionian marinas and yards are generally expensive. There's a yard called Steel-Design about 7 miles east of Vonitsa which is much cheaper than the big Preveza yards. But it has no facilities afloat. Afloat, there are some marinas in the Ionian which appear to have been abandoned, such as Argostoli, or lack effective management, such as Benitses on Corfu. You might get away paying very little, if you took your chance about finding a place - but I'd be wary about leaving a yacht there. Another possibility is the west coast of the Peleponnese a little to the south of the Ionian: Pylos marina used to be very much cheaper than those in the Ionian, but lacking facilities.

I think WWalsh is telling you that there are much cheaper places in the Northern Aegean, and the South Euboean Gulf is to be recommended as handy for air/rail links via Eleftherios Venizelos Airport.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
So many charter boats now in the Ionian the yards have plenty of business and willing to pay over the top.
The Ionian is no longer cheap to keep a boat and that's if you can find a spot unless you book early .
Once we could turn up at Ionian yard the day before haul out without booking and get a winter spot not no more.
As Andwer said there cheaper spot in Aegean.