cheapest liferaft solutions for Med Cruising

mikecontessa26

Visit site
Hi, i'm sailing down the med for a extended period of cruising hopefully leaving late July, I will mainly be sailing alone but will occasionally get visitors on board.

I need a cost effective solution for a liferaft, i have a contessa 26 and was planning on a deck mounted raft to save internal space. I imagine i'll need to go for a 4-man life raft, my budget is £500 max really. Does anyone have any comments or recomendations?

Thanks

Mike

Tranona

Visit site
In that price range the Seago rafts usually get the top spot in the "tests" which aren't really tests but surveys of construction, design and operation. search the back numbers of PBO and YM and you will find plenty of information.

FullCircle

Visit site
My research and review of the liferafts available led me to buying a Seago.
The 4 man has been used in anger in the Irish Sea.....

However, give them a ring and ask who services them in the Med?
They were having a bit of a time with the service community, but have been making efforts to improve.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
UNIC11202_2.jpg
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tranona

Visit site
It was actually a 6 man and was brand new having been bought on the insistence of the Irish Coastguard who would not let the leaky old bucket sail without it.

Liferaft performed perfectly.

Full report from the Irish authorities on www.mcib.ie/reports Report number 34 vessel Inis Mil

alec

Visit site
Always a difficult question to answer.

I have been on two courses during the last twelve months with major safety companies.

£500 does seem to be a mark many of us follow. Unfortunately, this is definitely at the 'entry level' of the life-raft market .

As a fellow single hander and small boat owner I would spend my £500 on a personal epirb together with a super dooper comfortable life jacket. They make them now.

The lifejacket would have integral crutch straps, sprayhood etc and cost about £200. The epirb about £300. The epirb will fit nicely into a pocket.

I believe there is much more chance of falling overboard than losing the yacht and needing a liferaft.

If you do fall off, you are effectively dead anyway out of sight of everything.And why keep tripping over the thing all summer ? If you hit something in a small boat it will fill up much quicker than a big one. How much time do we have ?

Might be worth considering if you only have £500.

Tranona

Visit site
Think you must have read a different report from me. Whilst they commented on the limited equipment in the raft, there was nothing negative about the way in which it performed its primary functions such as inflating when asked and keeping the crew safe. This contrasts somewhat with reports on deployment of rafts in other incidents.