Cheap Solar controller

chumblefish

Visit site
Hi, I've recently installed a 100 watt panel with the typical cheap solar controller found on most eBay listings of solar kits.

The symbol of the solar panel on the lcd display has a flashing arrow pointing at the battery (which is the centre symbol). If the arrow is flashing, as it is, does that indicate its not charging the battery? If so, what might be the problem? Also the second arrow shows solid, unblinking to the light bulb symbol (the load) even when nothing is plugged in to the USB sockets on the controller or any cigarette lighter type sockets in the boat. Presumably the arrow means some charge is going out somewhere. Any suggestions of what I could do to identify where the leak is? I have a multi meter but don't know where to check in this case.

TSailors

Visit site
Hi -- I think the blinking means that the panels are charging the battery currently.. I have a similar thing myself.. You can provide a photo if you'd like..

TSailors

Visit site
You can put the multimeter into Current mode, the one with the Amps setting -- you typically need to move one of the probes to a new slot on the multimeter too. Once done set it to the highest current setting so you do not burn the multimeter, and then connect this in SERIES with the solar panel..

that is,
solar panel positive wire -----> multimeter ---> charger
solar panel negative wire just connects to the charger as always..

in this setup it should provide you with the current info. Beware, if you connect it in parallel, it will burn the multimeter or its fuse.

nortada

Visit site
Hi, Warm welcome to Liveaboard Link (LL). Where is your boat?

Whilst you may get the advice you seek in here, LL is a bit of a backwater with not that many contributors.

You may get a better/bigger response if you post the same question in Reader to Reader or Scuttlebutt. Has always worked for me.

Best of luck with your quest.

N

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
A picture would help. It seems likely that it is indicating charge going to battery and power available at load outlet.

I don't know which options your controller has for load but it's quite common to find options like "always on", "always off", on/off timer controlled" etc.
Pretty good chance it is simply indicating that the load outlet will supply power if you connect something.

You connect a meter inline between the controller and battery in order to measure Amps. The original connection is broken and the circuit only flows through the meter (unless you are using a shunt to measure current, but you aren't doing that).

Just connecting it in parallel won't give a correct reading of current. Of course the meter must be able to handle the current being measured or you will damage it. The other problem is that most controllers specify the connect/disconnect order to controller (usually battery first, then panel and reverse order when dis-connecting).

You can measure voltage more easily and get some useful information. You could also just connect something to the USB port to check when or if it provides power.

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
Can you measure the battery voltage? It might go some way to understanding what the flashing means

chumblefish

Visit site
The controller instructions say about the arrow on the display (the arrow between panel icon and battery icon :
on: equalation / buck
flicking: float

Clearly the translation between English and China is not good. I don't understand it, but I saw on a couple of YouTube videos that the arrow would appear to be solid, unblinking when everything is working right.

chumblefish

Visit site
The controller instructions say about the arrow on the display (the arrow between panel icon and battery icon :
on: equalation / buck
flicking: float

Clearly the translation between English and China is not good. I don't understand it, but I saw on a couple of YouTube videos that the arrow would appear to be solid, unblinking when everything is working right.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I'd read that as float charging when arrow is flashing. Flicking = Flashing
I guess that means steady arrow would be charging. Possibly no arrow indicates a fault but you can't check that condition (disconnecting the battery would probably be unwise).

Do you have a link to the videos or eBay or the model number? Someone might recognise it and have a better set of instructions.

chumblefish

Visit site
Yes, I think it means it's stuck on float charge. It's new to me so I thought the panel just wasn't very powerful as it hardly makes a difference, but it's 100 watt so it should be doing better as I'm mostly at work and only run a diesel heater in the evening for a couple of hours which shouldn't use much electricity at all. A complicating factor is that the controller is connected to two batteries, but as they're in parallel it should still count as a 12 volt battery. The batteries have always charged fine via the engine, but since relying on the solar panel, they never read much higher than about 12.3/12.4. When the sun is shining on them, the controller shows a higher voltage, maybe 12.7 or so, but always settles back down to around 12.3 when the sun sets, and always that flashing arrow which indicates float charge. I checked the settings and it shows it's set up for a 12-volt battery. Not sure what else to do. The controller is the one you always see in eBay solar kits, a blue fascia, I think I saw it referred to as wss601.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I think that's the same as my emergency spare. I've used it a couple of times when repairing one on my regulators. It wasn't great as far as giving any indication of current but was OK for voltage.

I think that you use the left button to select a function and then hold it for quite a long time to get into programming mode. You hold it until the display flashes of a spanner icon appears, I can't remember which is correct.

Other 2 buttons are used to increase or decrease the value and then left one to store the setting. I seem to remember that the buttons on mine were a bit dodgy and didn't always work. I had to press hard and sometimes try a couple of times.

I don't think there's much to adjust on it (High voltage disconnect, low voltage disconnect, load time settings). I'll see if I have an electronic copy of my instructions. Unfortunately, the paper version is on my boat in Greece.

You could simply go around each option, enter programming mode, note setting and press the left button to exit. Just a matter of repeating for each option.

It shouldn't be on float with the voltages you are quoting and they can't be charging if your readings are correct. Running your engine for a couple of hours won't get them to 100%.

UPDATE:
My instruction booklet is in Greece and I don't have an electronic copy. However, I did make some notes as the booklet wasn't that clear. I think that my version is not the same as the one I saw in eBay and has more icons (see notes below).

N.B. I don't think flashing refers to float, charge, eq. charge. It just means the panel is connected and charging the battery. Your model could be different .

Battery types
Type: Flooded
Eq. charge: 14.6V
Float: 13.7V
Load off: 10.7V
Load on: 12.6V
Connect charge: 13V
Load timer: Always on (only overnight + other)

My display has Voltage at the top and 5 icons underneath

Icons: Panel Arrow Battery Arrow Light bulb

Left arrow flashes when panel is charging
Right arrow flashes when load is turned on (even if nothing is connected)

Left button: Cycle display around options OR long press to enter programming mode
Centre button is only used to increase value in programming mode
Right button Manually turn load output on/off OR Reduce value in programming mode

I must have been unlucky when searching. I've had another look and this one is similar to mine (pictures show display and each option fairly clearly)
HOT LCD Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller Dual USB 12V/24V 30A | eBay

I don't know how well it controls a charge but I'm always struggling to get 100% anyway, so not important to me. It was ridiculously cheap and daily Ah & Wh weren't much lower than my normal PWM charger. Perfectly happy with it as my emergency backup device.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Don't know if this manual will give you any clue. It doesn't sound the same as yours but is similar.

Edit .................If I can work out how to attach it. Help anyone? Trying to attach a pdf file.

Last edited:

chumblefish

Visit site
I think that's the same as my emergency spare. I've used it a couple of times when repairing one on my regulators. It wasn't great as far as giving any indication of current but was OK for voltage.

I think that you use the left button to select a function and then hold it for quite a long time to get into programming mode. You hold it until the display flashes of a spanner icon appears, I can't remember which is correct.

Other 2 buttons are used to increase or decrease the value and then left one to store the setting. I seem to remember that the buttons on mine were a bit dodgy and didn't always work. I had to press hard and sometimes try a couple of times.

I don't think there's much to adjust on it (High voltage disconnect, low voltage disconnect, load time settings). I'll see if I have an electronic copy of my instructions. Unfortunately, the paper version is on my boat in Greece.

You could simply go around each option, enter programming mode, note setting and press the left button to exit. Just a matter of repeating for each option.

It shouldn't be on float with the voltages you are quoting and they can't be charging if your readings are correct. Running your engine for a couple of hours won't get them to 100%.

UPDATE:
My instruction booklet is in Greece and I don't have an electronic copy. However, I did make some notes as the booklet wasn't that clear. I think that my version is not the same as the one I saw in eBay and has more icons (see notes below).

N.B. I don't think flashing refers to float, charge, eq. charge. It just means the panel is connected and charging the battery. Your model could be different .

Battery types
Type: Flooded
Eq. charge: 14.6V
Float: 13.7V
Load off: 10.7V
Load on: 12.6V
Connect charge: 13V
Load timer: Always on (only overnight + other)

My display has Voltage at the top and 5 icons underneath

Icons: Panel Arrow Battery Arrow Light bulb

Left arrow flashes when panel is charging
Right arrow flashes when load is turned on (even if nothing is connected)

Left button: Cycle display around options OR long press to enter programming mode
Centre button is only used to increase value in programming mode
Right button Manually turn load output on/off OR Reduce value in programming mode

I must have been unlucky when searching. I've had another look and this one is similar to mine (pictures show display and each option fairly clearly)
HOT LCD Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller Dual USB 12V/24V 30A | eBay

I don't know how well it controls a charge but I'm always struggling to get 100% anyway, so not important to me. It was ridiculously cheap and daily Ah & Wh weren't much lower than my normal PWM charger. Perfectly happy with it as my emergency backup device.

That looks like the one I have, but the manual does say "flickering" = float charge. The load arrow is permanently on, even though nothing is connected. The charge never seems to go above about 12.5 volts. I think it might be a battery problem though. A friend is giving me a couple of his old batteries so I'll see if anything changes with those. Thanks all for replying.

Other threads that may be of interest