Chartplotter Location

CPD

Visit site
I had a small PDA in the cockpit during JAC08, the connections to which suffered from water ingress (solved with grease and a plastic bag) but in truth I didn't actually use it much. Most of the time I was working off the compass, and therefore, generally, I would advise keeping as much kit down below as you can. The NASA AIS unit won my vote for best bit of kit for the trip.

srm

Visit site
Have forward facing chart table on starboard side just inside the hatch. All instruments except wheel pilot control are on the bulkhead facing aft so can be seen from cockpit through open hatch. I usually sit or stand at forward end of cockpit as use wind vane or wheel pilot when motoring to steer so it works well for me. Wheel pilot control is on forward cockpit bulkhead so can be reached from chart table when inside. Have to go out to change course with windvane which is OK as usually need to trim sails at same time.

Has anyone found a way to dim the display light on the NASA AIS reciever as its far to bright at night?

Pords

Visit site
Well eventually ordered the garmin gpsmap 557 from Redcar marine who were by far the cheapest and doing a good deal. The 751 version of this plotter has a 7 inch screen but that was another £500 for an extra 2 inches so thought with the £500 saved I can invest in the AIS I want. No brainer really. Will let you know how I get on with it once it's installed.

Last edited:

Pords

Visit site
Well went down to the boat yesterday and wired in the Garmin chartplotter, also linked it into the DSC radio. Have moved the old Lowrance down below so can keep a watch if needed. Have to sort out some additional wiring for the Garmin so it can be moved when not on deck to down below also, as this will have AIS. All I have to do now is update the software and charts. So far first impressions of the 557 excellent bit of kit and very pleased with it.

Last edited: