Chart Preference

G

Which charts do you prefer to use, Admiralty,Stanford or Imray?
I myself prefer Admiralty charts always have done.

jimi

Visit site
I generally tend to use Imray, but I must confess if I've got to do serious pilotage I revert to the detailed admiralty charts.

Jim

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
Pukka Admiraltys are my favorite, as they are flat, and these nasty folded things dont fit on my chart table, but it annoys me when occasional charts have a 'bit extra' folded down the side. (I'm wondering whether they have changed that recently as I bought a new version of an older chart, and the new version didnt have the extra 'flap' but still covered exactly the same area as the old one - spooky)

dickh

Visit site
Definitely Stanfords - they are printed on waterproof paper, show more than enough detail for my cruising area, Thames Estuary, and easily updated from their website free of charge. I buy them direct so you always get a bang up to date chart. Don't like Admiralty charts, have used Imray for N sea crossing as all on one chart instead of 2 and better detail on t'other side.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :)

whisper

Visit site
Definitely Imray, on water resistant paper so ok upstairs, easily corrected via their website f.o.c., cover all of the UK in acceptable detail and have harbour chart insets.

If I want greater detail, for example of parts of the W.coast of Scotland then obviously some Admiralty charts are essential. I just find them more awkward to correct quickly.

pkb

Visit site
As many opinions as there are chart options. I always used full scale admiralties but have become a convert to the new smaller size charts they produce for yachtsmen which come in portfolios covering individual cruising grounds. Much easier to use on your average chart table. Unlike full size admiralties you have to correct them yourself rather than drop them into an agency. They're not waterproof but when I took my first competent crew course in the eighties I was told it was bad form to take a chart into the cockpit. Nonsense I know but somehow or other the prejudice is still with me. As illogical as my prejudice against bow thrusters.
Peter

paulrossall

Visit site
Re: Chart Preference..Sranfords

I started on Admiralty, then used some Imray but I now have Stanfords. Detail is relevant, updating is easy from their website, and FREE. I bought one Imray which they reissued 3 months later and they deleted the updates from their website which forced you to buy another or waste time trying to update from another source I would not use them again as a result of that experience. Trying to update Admiralty portfolio sets is a nightmare and they might have been established for ever and might have to be used in certain circumstances but they got their colours wrong in the first place and should have the courage to change then. Have you ever seen green sand? IMHO.

bedouin

Visit site
Without a doubt the Admiralty contain the most detailed (and accurate) information. My main gripe with them is that you have to buy the entire set - if a more detailed chart exists then they omit critical navigation details from the larger scale charts.

When appropriate I prefer the Stanfords charts as they are very clear, printed on waterproof paper and I can cover my cruising area with fewer charts.

However I am somewhat concerned about the quality of their on-line corrections. Some time back I was correcting both the Admiralty Folio and the Stanfords chart pack for the Solent. Some of the changes on the Admiralty charts did not appear to be listed on the Stanfords corrections. (If memory serves me the Stanfords ones omitted the changes to the buoys near Yarmouth)

whisper

Visit site
Re quality of on line corrections, there is usually at least one mistake every quarter on Imrays. They are normally put right (corrected) on the next quarterly edition and would appear to be misprints generally.

Does this not happen with Admiralty Notices To Mariners?

G

Re: Chart Preference..Sranfords

Paul as for the "green sand" I think you'll find that the colours used by admiraly charts really come into thier own under red night lights. The magenta colour used to mark TSS really shows up under a red light!!

G

Admiralty Small Craft Folios

I used to find them a pain to update until they changed their web site. Now its much easier as you just enter the chart number. However each folio chart is based on data from several "real" charts. Still don't understand why can't they map the small craft NMs onto the folio charts???

Also has anyone managed to print out any of the colour blocks the right size for
folio charts? Whenever I try they are always too big!!

Steve P