Chart of Fowey

jonathankent

Visit site
Wanted: I'm looking for a chart with as much detail as possible of the Fowey River right up from Fowey up to Lostwithiel. I've got the Admiralty leisure folio one (scale 1:6250 for the harbour, and then 1:15000 for the river up to Lostwithiel). I really need more accuracy in order to get up the river - as many of you probably know, it dries up here and the small channel isn't marked.

I've searched the Admiralty website, and the leisure folio one I have got appears to be the only scale they produce. I have found Imray produce a chart (2400.7) which states a scale of 1:9000. I don't know whether this scale is for the whole of the river, or as Admiralty, just the harbour.

So, can anyone confirm the scale of the Imary chart, or better still - have one surplus to requirements?

Any other chart producers I could try?

Cheers, Jonathan.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
John,
can't help you with a chart, but a couple of years ago, we were anchored (and dried) off Golant, and for a lark took the flood tide up to Lostwithiel. It's got more bends than a donkey's hind leg!! and more banks than Switzerland. We walked, pushed, paddled and motored, and got to within quarter mile before "having had enough". The river at the bridge is quite a walk from the town.

OK going up with the tide, but a bu99er coming back down against it - and the light was starting to go!

The best chart we had was a laminated Imray chart. I still have it if it can be of use to you. Going down to the boat at Mylor Sunday A.M.

jonathankent

Visit site
Thanks Phil.

I know that it isn't going to be the easiet route up there.... but, I've just got a quay berth up at Lostwithiel, and living in the town is perfect to just walk down to the boat - and alongside!

I am aware of the tidal restrictions up here, but the berth is only going to cost me <£100/yr which is considerably less than the £665/yr I am currently paying on the Helford (plus the £8 in diesel each time I drive down to the boat).

My little boat only draws 0.6m, and being triple keel, if things all go t*** up, I can always just sit there, dry out and wait until the next tide /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your offer of the chart would be ideal - it should be the one I quoted above, and hopefully be more detailed than my current Admiralty one.

Re. chart offer - PM on its way.