Chart confusion

aitchw

Visit site
I am a dinghy sailor about to start doing some inshore cruising and looking for charts for the first time. I have just bought 2528 Gairloch to Kishorn and the Strome Narrows. The chart catalogue shows a large rectangular area covering Gairloch in the north and parts of Loch Carron and Loch Kishorn in the south. Loch Torridon (the bit I really want) is slap bang in the centre of this area. The chart itself has arrived and has three panels. Gairloch, Kishorn and an inset of Strome Narrows. NO Loch Torridon. What do I do to get Loch Torridon.

The only other chart I can see is 2210 at 1:50000. I am reluctant to order this one without some advice. Can someone advise.

Thanks

Howard

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
If you don't get this sorted today, I'll have a look tonight on the laptop when I get home.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shanty

Visit site
Yup, 2210 is the chart you need - its about the only one that gives Loch Torridon in any detail. When you are ordering it, ask your supplier for a copy of NP109 - the NW Europe chart catalogue. Its FREE and shows you the area(s) covered by each chart.

<hr width=100% size=1>

aitchw

Visit site
Thanks claymore but tim-mac seams to have the answer. I'll get 2210 and probably 2209 while I'm at it.

I don't suppose there is anything more appropriate from Imray is there?

H

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site
If you're swilling about in the pouring rain around lower Loch Torridon, an ordnance survey map? It's waterproofing is better than Imray and it's better for landmarks when the mist comes rolling down .... Boozer at Torridon (or is it Shieldag?) gets v. steamy and is full of hairy kneed climbers with all their sodden kit ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site
Not how I\'d run a boozer ...

... with a roaring fire and these dreich souls troop in and 5 mins later there's steam coming off them and after a pint, they're fast asleep. I'd be sloshing buckets of freezing cold water (plenty of that on the doorstep) over 'em to keep them awake and drinking ....

<hr width=100% size=1>

aitchw

Visit site
Must be Sheildaig. I can't think of a boozer in Torridon. Unless you mean that pretentious hotel place that charges £30 a litre for petrol on Upper Loch Torridon. As I recall it was a poverty struck climber with a vacation job that had the job of taking the petrol money.

Was planning on using the OS for the very reason given but want to start to understand the charts as well.

Thanks for the help.

<hr width=100% size=1>

alan_d

Visit site
Thumbnails

The Kelvin Hughes website has thumbnail pictures of the charts, so you can see exactly what they cover. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bookharbour.com/>http://www.bookharbour.com/</A>

Alan

<hr width=100% size=1>