Charges for anchoring

Apetts

Visit site
Some time ago there was correspondence about the legality of charging to anchor. I think there might have been perhaps a test case. Does anyone know if it is / is not legal to make such a charge? I understand that if I anchor and land ashore then I am probably making use of some provided facility and hence the justification of a charge, but if I simply anchor for the night, stay aboard and leave next day should I pay up if payment is demanded?

<hr width=100% size=1>

John_N

Visit site
I think that your interpretation is correct. A classic case in point is New Grimsby Sound in the Scillies. If you anchor and go ashore on Tresco and use their pier or roads or take on water (or beer) they have a legal right to charge you, but if you just drop the hook overnight in tidal waters you are exercising your "rights of passage". With regards to Ken's point they have the difficulty of actually extracting the cash from your pocket. My attitude to such demands is "To hell with you - see me in court".

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Can of worms. Don\'t go there.

And if 'you' want to pay you are ... well, you decide. CU in court is the best answer I'm sure. No wonder every time I go round the courner and end up in Sovereign or Brighton I start getting windy and head south!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rabbie

Visit site
What is everyone afraid of?. Please tell me.
I would dearly hope and wish that all readers of this forum stand on their principles and refuse to pay for the simple act of dropping your hook for the night. Lets just all try it this coming season and see what happens - or am I the only one?. Believe me - they will just go away and find another mug who is too chicken to argue their rights of passage. So there!.

<hr width=100% size=1>
chief_clans.jpg