Channel Islands

G

Thinking of making passage from Brighton to Ch. Isds. Wondering where the best fuel stop would be without diverting to much . 150 gal capacity with similar range , so need to uplift fuel IOW area any suggestions. Thanks in anticipation. By the way used boat more in winter months than so called summer !

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mark, have'nt you got the range to get to Alderney without refuelling? If not, then its probably best to make for the Solent to refuel; the most convenient place would be Sparkes Marina just inside Chichester harbour but the cheapest fuel in the Solent is from the fuel barge in Cowes - sorry cant remember the name but its on the west side of the river upstream of the chain ferry. BTW, fuel in the Channel Islands is more expensive than UK despite being duty free

G

I probaly have range to ALd. but have come unstuck in the past. IE running out of fuel on return from Pt Slt. To Btn. so dont want to experience filling up red plastic 5 ltr can. and sw imming! to nearest filling station. My range is realistically 120knots .

G

Mark best you hit the Alderney races at slack water. Agree with other post Cowes fuel barge (23p last time)
is probably best value. Make sure your insurance covers Channel Islands cos its usually extra to the premium

75gals per tank seems a very small capacity giving tiny range. Not one of Princesses best moves IMHO.

CGN

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: Channel Islands Fuel

Well pray tell us where you get diesel @ 19p/l in Guernsey because Boatworks in St Peter Port charged me 30p/l during the recent Jubilee weekend and absolutely no discount for quantity either. Beaucette had a similar price last summer. Maybe its only we foreigners that get ripped off and not you locals or maybe you get a discount if you buy a bottle of Shitron??

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Good info, thanks. Is that a tanker you have to call in or is it there all the time, tide permitting?

DepSol

Visit site

Actually you have to book the tanker through the right people and with one of them you will need a special card or get charged an added fee.

No you dont need to buy a bottle of Soltron, just be polite to the people that can save you money. Always ask a local first, lots of others have done so and saved money. BTW he he I got Dave G 2p off per litre @ Boatworks at very short notice and he ddint even buy any Soltron, How dya feel? ;-)

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

jointventureII

Visit site

Why not come to jersey,
no mucking around with fuel barges, varying prices, this hbr is cheaper etc.
(sure to get a cocky reply from DepSol!)
JVII

DepSol

Visit site

Of course, why nor go to Jersey better tourist attractions bigger island better shops crappy marina crappy marina service and services longer walk to restaurants crappier views no real islands to visit in the proximaty and expensive lift outs and marina charges, lets all go to Jersey why not ;-)

Cocky enuf for you ;-)

Sorry had to do it, nah Jersey is ok go there now and again but only for a short while. Its ok. St Helier not a spretty as St Peter Port and we know how to throw a water carnival over here.

Dom

DepSol

Visit site

Of course, why nor go to Jersey better tourist attractions bigger island better shops crappy marina crappy marina service and services longer walk to restaurants crappier views no real islands to visit in the proximaty and expensive lift outs and marina charges, crappy fuel and crappy fuel prices, lets all go to Jersey why not ;-) he he

Cocky enuf for you ;-)

Sorry had to do it, nah Jersey is ok go there now and again but only for a short while. Its ok. St Helier not a spretty as St Peter Port and we know how to throw a water carnival over here.

Dom

rich

www.portofjersey.je

Jersey,Jersey.it's so good, you HAD to say it TWICE, by the way one night in donkey land was enuff,1st hangover for a long time,,,,,

rich :)) Why pay, when you can do it yourself?

peterb

Visit site

Had my honeymoon in Jersey. Superb place! (and not just for the obvious reason).

But that was 46 years ago. Nowadays? Give me Guernsey any time. Jersey's been spoilt.

jointventureII

Visit site

oooohhhh! Water carnival!
Try the battle of flowers for size!

P.S yes that was about the level of cockyness i was anticipating

Go to the north coast and you can get world class views, plus jersey slopes
with the sun

DepSol

Visit site

Now let me think why would boaters want to go to a battle of flowers hmmm I can understand why they would turn up for a water carnival which is taking place all around them and in the marina but a battle of flowers tuff on that, I know which one I would go to ;-)

Dom

jointventureII

Visit site

mmm, lets go see some water! After all i have never seen water before.
But huge floats that took hours to build, are masterfully constructed and
breathtakingly real, well, i also know which one i'd prefer to be at.
Far more people turn up to the battle of flowers (the whole of vic avenue is lined with stands)