changing from power to sail.

G

We are thinking about changing over from our Sealine S34 to sail. I used to dingy sail a lot when younger, and my partner is doing her RYA day skipper (Exam on Tuesday!) This seems to be a bit unusual, as the two rarely seem to meet! Any thoughts, observations, things we should think about, experiences. The sailing thing seems to be a lot cheaper size for size boat wise, but what are the other costs like, all those self furling thingys etc.

coasting over the clear blue waters of the BVI or the Agean seems to appeal, maybe its just been the bad weather and the thought will pass.

(and the fear that in the next few years the cost of the diesel will drive us off the water!)

G

The only benefit I can see in the change would be in your fuel bills. The rest of it all looks a bit too much like hard work.

But then I'm not a real sailor!

Attachments

• 4396.jpg
    4396.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4397.jpg
    4397.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4398.jpg
    4398.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
G

Might be ok if you had power everything - winches, furling , etc and could drive the thing from down below when the weather was threatening to dilute the whisky too much. Of course if you had that then you would need a decent genny but you would need to remember to switch it of in harbour so as not to annoy the other yachties.

If you change to yachts, will you still let me raft up to you and will you promise to snub your halyards when leaving the boat so that the constant clink clink does'nt keep me awake all night.

I have harboured some thoughts of a motor sailer myself but I have been nervous about expressing such thoughts on this forum.

Nick

G

I've thought about it too. And done it twice around the Greek islands.

The bit I like about boats is the freedom, visiting little harbours wilst carting my home around with me.

That dose not include sailing all night to get there

sitting out in the rain all day. Or doing countless

sums on tides, wind and weather. But I found it worked

with little hops from Island to Island say 10-20

miles apart. The 5-6 knots is not to bad.

Sails were hardly ever used cos the wind was always

going in the wrong direction.

G

If God had meant us to sail he wouldn't have put oil in the ground

G

That's roughly the same as plastic trees and grp hulls. We expect better on this forum, especially from an old hand like Byron. Send me some whisky and you are forgiven! The more I hear from Haydn the more I worry that I am just like him! I think I will take up stamp collecing instead.

Nick

G

Re: Good things about sailing

Like H, I have done lots of sailing, solent, france and bvi last year. But I am waiting until they discover a bit more in the way of creature comforts and stop modelling the inside of sailboats on a 1970's caravan or youth hostel before a more serious plunge.

On the plus side, in a sailboat, there's more thingys to do, loads and loads more space, anchoring is much less bouncy, and the BVI's or the solent last for a while instead of doing it all in a weekend. There's also a lot more of an achievement in reaching a port, whereas in a powerboat you're a nitwit if you don't get there, and of course the range is massive. Natch, the hopeless thing about sailing is unpredictability of getting anywhere and back within specified timescale, hence less use for rush rush ratracers, or limted to immediate area. Hence, fregzample, a cruiser sailiboat if you are based in plymouth (and have an normal job) is no good because there's hardly anywhere to go in a day, except out in the bay, and then back. Oh, and it'll need to be a massive and very lux sailboat before it looks rather wonderful, or has space for a useable jetrib.

G

Wind direction

The wind always blows in the right direction. It's just that you want to sail the wrong way.

G

Accurate costings

Loads more things to bend, break, tear or lose on a sailboat, so what you save on fuel, you will spend on other stuff (additional word of caution, sailboats give you lots more opportunities to buy them little presents from the giftshop - chandlers).

Like you are considering, I made the change after a brief time racing dinghies, 15 years in sports boats / cruisers, then bought a sailboat.

You need the attitude of 'it is better to travel' because you and your crew (and you do need 'crew' rather than just passengers who can hold a rope now and again) will have to work the passage if you are going any distance.

When I look back it seems powerboating gave a quick fix, sailing is a more lasting pleasure, much therefore depends upon your lifestyle and time available.

Some further thoughts...

Is it such a bad thing if you have to see what nature is up to before you decide where to go (ie wind and tide directions) and when you can come back?

I am the worlds worst at 'getting up' in the morning, unless I have to be up to catch the tide that is, then no problem. In all my previous years in boats I never had the pleasure of seeing the sun rise from the sea (sometimes with nothing else on the horizon), with bacon and sausages just turning in the oven. I had made the odd night passage (pilotage really) before, I've done loads now.

I believe there are a multitude more skills that can be brought to bear in sail cruising rather than under power. Many more challenges. Far greater feeling of freedom (and responsibility). Immeasurably greater satisfaction.

It's hard to describe the feeling when you have just left the harbour, the sails are up, you sheet them in and she heels over until she stiffens up, then you cut the motor and just have the chuckle of the wake from the afterswim. Or (increasingly difficult in these crowded times), you hoist a scrap of sail as you cast the lines off and slip silently away from your berth or mooring, mug of tea in hand.

Eating, drinking, talking are all done under way on a sailboat. All are much rarer on a powerboat.

You mention the weather. Previously the weather was a huge determining factor in our boat use. Sail boats can usually go somewhere, almost regardless of weather, and with good waterproofs (more expense) a bit of rain isn't really a problem.

Last year a friend (also powerboater) was desparate to cross the channel. The winds were light and we motored or motor sailed for most of the trip, about 22 engine hours I think. He held his breath as we topped up the tank (his is petrol powered Fairline Carrera). When he saw it cost less than a tenner he asked why I was spending nearly a grand and a half on a new mains'l!

Dont forget B.O.A.T.

+ + + + + + + + +

+ + + + + ++ + Break Out Another Thousand.