Changing coolant on VP KAD 300

kaik

Visit site
Hi, I'm going to change the coolant on Volvo Penta KAD 300 and hope for some tips about draining the engines.
The motor room is so tight that I have problems locating the drain plugs described in the manual. The manual is also for different models so I hope someone can verify this plugs or upload a picture or describe where they are.
On my engines I have problems locating plug 3 and 4 in the picture. Howewer I have a drain tap on the rear on exhaust manifoil.

Thank you.VP_KAD300_avtapping.jpg

alt

Visit site
I just drain 1 & 2. I know there'll be some (not much) coolant left behind but as I change it annually it doesn't bother me.

For the sake of 'wasting' some distilled water, I then top up with just distilled water and run up to temp (go for a spin) and then empty it. This 'flushes' the system.

Finally, fill up with 50/50 distilled water/coolant (maybe 55/50 in favour of coolant as there'll most likely be some distilled water still in the system as i've only drained 1 & 2)

Been doing this for 10+ years and never had an issue. You'd want to see the state of some engines i've drained (so bad i just had to do an initial flush with tap water... hose in the expansion tank and leave the drains open to drain out all the carp)

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Drain at no 2 and the dedicated drain tube sited rh side of engine , not the one with the blue cable tie the other one , you will drain majority of engine from the two points .

Portofino

Visit site
Any body have any issues with using a pump to pump out as much as poss from expansion tank and where else you can suck .
Then refil .Do this annually as opposed until its time 5 y or what ever is up .
Basically refreshing with new and diluting last years over and over agian .
Keeping the corrosion concentration right in theory ?