Changes at the Deben Bar

aquaholic

Visit site
Apologies if this has already been posted, thought it might be of use.

Spoke to John White this week who advised that the new channel will be buoyed soon.

Trinity House confirmed today that the buoys will be repositioned by the end of this week.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I know I only have motor/speed boats and none of that tall thing in the air type of boat, But having boated in and out of the Deben now for over 7 years I kind of feel that the worry about the Deben bar is over exaggerated. It seems easy to me just follow the buoys, look at the tide times, Keep an eye on your depth and only turn out towards the Woodbridge haven buoy just after the last buoy.

Maybe it is just being a local that makes it non scary. :)

aquaholic

Visit site
I know I only have motor/speed boats and none of that tall thing in the air type of boat, But having boated in and out of the Deben now for over 7 years I kind of feel that the worry about the Deben bar is over exaggerated. It seems easy to me just follow the buoys, look at the tide times, Keep an eye on your depth and only turn out towards the Woodbridge haven buoy just after the last buoy.

Maybe it is just being a local that makes it non scary. :)
I think you are right about the reputation being worse than it actually is, although I haven’t navigated the Deben before and need to bring my new-to-me boat, to the Medway.
I must admit to feeling a little nervous given the reputation it has amongst some sailors.
Although after looking into it, scanning the charts and reading the ECP, I felt fairly confident.
As recommended, I spoke to John White first, who was extremely helpful, we both agreed that the safest option would be to wait for the new bouys to be in place, especially given that I wasn’t familiar with the area and have a 1.8mt draft. I just hope the Easter weekend is not a wash out!