Chain supplier

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I've a horrible feeling that the 60m of chain in my anchor locker is the wrong size for my anchor windlass gypsy as when winding chain out the chain rides up on the gypsy and "jumps" which makes a hell of a noise and when the 25kg bruce is dangling over the bow it puts a hell of a "snatch strain" on everything. (When winding the anchor back in there is no such problem for some reason) I need someone who could give me some sensible advice on chain/gypsy sizing and/or wear - does anybody know of such a person?

TIA

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
Most probably

Someone in the past has economised by buying non-calibrated chain for your boat.

The jumping is due to the variablity in length of the links - the only way to cure that is to junk the current chain and get some calibrated chain.

To check if that is the problem beg, borrow, purchase or steal a micrometer guage and check the link lengths of at least 20% of the links.

If you like to let me know the size of your chain PRECISELY I'll get the clibrated length for you.

There is the added complication that you may have an gipsy designed for imperial dimensions with metric chain. You can get away with 8mm/5/16", but not with 10mm and 3/8". If yours is the latter problem you'll need to change the gipsy drum - it's almost impossible to get imperial denominated chain except in the States.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tritonofnor

Visit site
Hi Rob,

Had exactly the same problem with a new old stock windlass which I put on the boat. Eventually discovered that the chain was a size too small for the gypsy. Ended up junking 60m of 8mm (which thankfully was on it's last legs anyway) and replacing with 10mm which works just fine. Try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.griffchains.co.uk>http://www.griffchains.co.uk</A> for supplies. Alternatively, if your chain is ok, then try your local swindlery for a gypsy which fits.

<hr width=100% size=1>Marina skips - the greatest free resource centre!

Birdseye

Visit site
when I bought my chain I went to a lifting tackle supplier from the yellow pages. he dealt with the chain makers and had no difficulty in supplying calibrated chain. the advantage was that he didnt know about the silly prices that marine suppliers charge, and he bought lots of chain, so the price was almost half the swindlery price.

incidentally, when subsequently I spoke to the chain producer direct, I was told that officially they were only supposed to supply the calibrated chain to distributors approved by the windlass maker, hence the normally silly price. In practise they didnt bother to stick to this rule.

I would not be as certain that the jumping was the wrong size since you say that it doesnt happen under load. if it were chain size, then I would expect a worse problem under load when the pitch of the chain must match the gypsy. I recommend that you get someone to operate the windlass slowly both up and down whilst you watch what is happening. if you have twist in the chain, you will also get jumping.

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.